82 K10 Steering Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief4451

Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 82 K10 with a 4 inch rough country lift and 33x12.50"tires. When I was adjusting my drag link to straighten my steering wheel. I noticed when I turned the wheel the pitman arm would raise up and actually lift the truck a bit before it started turning the tires. What would cause that to happen? I didn't put the lift on this truck and I think it already has a raised steering arm. Another weird thing that happens is when you turn the steering wheel to the left and go back straight the steering wheel ends up a quarter turn off the left. Then turn to the right and it brings it back center, but if you turn right it makes it a quarter turn off to the right. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. Any clue why that might happen either? I appreciate any help in advance

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
is your steering box loose? is your steering arm loose? is your frame cracked? do you have the correct steering arm? do you have a bad tie rod end? highdesertranger

Chief4451

Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The steering box and arm are tight and the frame is not cracked. I'm not sure how to tell if its the right steering arm or not. I will have to check on the tie rod end. Thanks for the tips

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
can you post a pic? highdesertranger

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Start the truck, reach through the fender well and turn the steering shaft right behind the steering box. If the box looks like it is moving around at all, more than likely the frame is cracked. I know you said yours wasn't, but I didn't think mine was either.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I have a 82 K10 with a 4 inch rough country lift and 33x12.50"tires. When I was adjusting my drag link to straighten my steering wheel. I noticed when I turned the wheel the pitman arm would raise up and actually lift the truck a bit before it started turning the tires. What would cause that to happen? I didn't put the lift on this truck and I think it already has a raised steering arm. Another weird thing that happens is when you turn the steering wheel to the left and go back straight the steering wheel ends up a quarter turn off the left. Then turn to the right and it brings it back center, but if you turn right it makes it a quarter turn off to the right. Weirdest thing I have ever seen. Any clue why that might happen either? I appreciate any help in advance

Did you figure out why the pitman arm is raising? Mine is doing it to and I have slop with everything tight. I started a post and noticed this one afterwords, thought I'd ask.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
the drag link should basically be flat(parallel to the ground). if it's not you will have problems one of which is lifting the truck when you turn. this happen when the drag link is pointed down to the axle and you a standing still. it's less resistance to raise the truck a little then to turn the wheels. once the truck is moving this is lessened. however if your pitman arm is not flat you have issues. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26