82 gmc 1500 seems to be leveled... So what do I need to do to drop it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey folks, first time posting here. I recently bought an 82' gmc 1500 lwb that I have started to modify and make my own. This forum has already provided much insight and knowledge to help me with my build. So thanks for that!

I am looking at lowering the pickup next so, I have been trying to decide if I want to do a 2/4 or a 4/6 drop and I think I've decided on the 4/6. I've done some initial measurement and both the wheel well heights measure 31"... I'm confused because the pickup doesn't "look" exactly level, all hangers and shackles look to be factory in the rear, could someone have installed leveling springs and how can I tell? And if I do a 4/6 the rear end would definitely sit lower so, should I do a 4/4? I was all about doing a flip kit and c notch but if I don't have to that's great, but just wanna make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Maybe the springs are just worn out? The previous owner pulled a trailer for like 10 years but, doesnt seem like the guys to level it...

Sorry I don't have any pictures that show the stance well enough but, I can take some if needed. Please let me know what yall think! Thanks!

Edit: apparently you can do an axel flip without doing a c notch but with it already being "level" would that be the case? If so I still might consider doing the flip but, that would mean I need to do a 6in drop on the front, right? That's a big drop haha just need someone to talk this through with haha

Okay fellas I have added some pictures hopefully this help. I pulled some measurements from the frame as well but was getting wildly different number everywhere. Leads me to think that where I was measuring from weren't level with each other

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Measuring from the wheel well arches isn't a good point to go from. Iirc, the openings are at different heights front to rear. Posting a pic of the truck would be a quicker easier way for the guys on here who are dropped to give you some insght on what you have.

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Hey man, feel free to message me with any questions. I just did a 5/7 drop on my 84 this past summer. @squareduplowlife on Instagram. I tried to take as many pictures as possible. The trucks usually sat higher in the rear (about 2”). If you buy a 4/6 kit you’re right at the borderline of having to do a c notch. A 3/5 you should be fine without. The guy may have installed two inches lowering shackle hangers in the rear to get it to sit level. Without pictures it’s really hard to tell what’s been done and where to go from here. Welcome to the group!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Measuring from the wheel well arches isn't a good point to go from. Iirc, the openings are at different heights front to rear. Posting a pic of the truck would be a quicker easier way for the guys on here who are dropped to give you some insght on what you have.
That's what I was wondering, so the next thing I was going to do is pull measurements from the frame to the ground to see if there is still a rake.

I will try to get some pictures sometime today!

Thanks for the l reply, definitely knowing the wheel well arches arnt the same height makes me feel a little better!

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks Charlie!

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hey man, feel free to message me with any questions. I just did a 5/7 drop on my 84 this past summer. @squareduplowlife on Instagram. I tried to take as many pictures as possible. The trucks usually sat higher in the rear (about 2”). If you buy a 4/6 kit you’re right at the borderline of having to do a c notch. A 3/5 you should be fine without. The guy may have installed two inches lowering shackle hangers in the rear to get it to sit level. Without pictures it’s really hard to tell what’s been done and where to go from here. Welcome to the group!

I'm 90% sure they are factory shackles but I'll take as many pictures as I can today. The bed supports will have to be cut to fit 2in drop shackles and they are still in tack. So if I did a 6/4 I think I would still do a notch just to prepare for dropping it more down the road if I wanted!

Thanks man I'll hit you up if I have question and nice pickup I like the way yours sits for sure! Making me consider a 5/7 haha

malibuman402

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
BB 402+.060 = 413.8CI
mine has a 2.5 /4 drop on it. and your truck looks stock. welcome

Thefaceless023

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
mine has a 2.5 /4 drop on it. and your truck looks stock. welcome

Good looking pickup! And thank you. Yeah pretty sure it is too. after doing some more measuring from the frame, body etc it seems it does in fact sit almost exactly 2in taller in the rear! So I think I will be doing a 4/6!

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Good looking pickup! And thank you. Yeah pretty sure it is too. after doing some more measuring from the frame, body etc it seems it does in fact sit almost exactly 2in taller in the rear! So I think I will be doing a 4/6!

Good choice man. If I could go back, I’d only do a 4/6 instead of the 5/7.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave