81 K30 rear spring ubolts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wowzers

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
81, 85
Truck Model
K10, K30
Engine Size
6.2 and 5.7
So I just bought some new rear end springs for my 81 K30 from general springs. I'm trying to figure out where to get new u bolts and what exactly I have. All the ones I see on the internet are round and come up from the bottom. Mine are square or semi square and come down over a block. Also the old springs are 2 5/8 width and the new ones are 2 1/2. Any ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Springs can be put on either way... With a 4x4 its usually better to put the bolts on top so they don't drag on the ground. Those look like square shaped ubolts and to get new ones measure the inside distance of the ubolt. But if the new springs are different sized you may need new spring plates too.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
1-tons got the square u-bolts like that, because the springs are mounted tighter to the frame. If the plates and nuts are on the top like normal, they can contact the bumpstop bracket especially if it's a 2wd truck.

The best place to get u-bolts is from a truck spring shop, they can make exactly what you need while you wait. Otherwise NAPA should be able to get something close enough.

wowzers

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
81, 85
Truck Model
K10, K30
Engine Size
6.2 and 5.7
Its a 4x4, I was hoping to get the bolts before I took the old ones off but it might be easier to just take them down to NAPA. The ones they had with an 1/8" wider, so a 1/6 on either side. How big of a deal will that be?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Its a 4x4, I was hoping to get the bolts before I took the old ones off but it might be easier to just take them down to NAPA. The ones they had with an 1/8" wider, so a 1/6 on either side. How big of a deal will that be?

Get the bolts from where you got the springs! Any spring shop can make you custom or stock bolts on the spot! Stay with the style you have. There is a reason all the new trucks use that style. It clamps the spring to the axle better!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Get the bolts from where you got the springs! Any spring shop can make you custom or stock bolts on the spot! Stay with the style you have. There is a reason all the new trucks use that style. It clamps the spring to the axle better!

Yup Standens made my u bolts in about 10 minutes.

Last edited:

wowzers

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
81, 85
Truck Model
K10, K30
Engine Size
6.2 and 5.7

I live in the middle of nowhere! It's an hour drive one way to NAPA, but I was looking and the guys who sold me the springs carry bolts so I will give them a call. Thanks for the advice.

One thing I thought of, would the saddles be okay to reuse?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I live in the middle of nowhere! It's an hour drive one way to NAPA, but I was looking and the guys who sold me the springs carry bolts so I will give them a call. Thanks for the advice.

One thing I thought of, would the saddles be okay to reuse?

Yep the saddles are fine to reuse. You just need the u bolts and nuts and washers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1