79 Trans am

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Stock I think the 403 is only rated to 185hp. The few mods you can do like the Olds 350 heads, flat top pistons, better cam, you're not going to net much more than 350hp. They're heavy but have nice torque. It's just my opinion and we all know what those are worth but I would go with the Chevy smallblock, just for the cheaper upgrade parts, readily available bolt-on upgrades like Vortec heads, lighter engine, etc. Unless you want to find a bigblock for it and throw down some serious cash. I remember my mom had a mid-70s Pontiac Gran Prix with the 400 smallblock in it. It was rusted out bad, I mean you couldn't even put groceries in the trunk. A guy came by, can't remember if he had a Firebird or TA, but said the engine was highly sought after and paid a pretty penny for the whole car. Might be a better direction to go in.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Torque is what you feel the most on a BOP set up.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea poncho 6.6 aka 400 had 220 hp stock and 403 had 185 or so. I forget torque numbers

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not much going on, moved it to the other side of the garage, might move again, need the vette in out of the weather too. I did find a hood, old paint was cracked badly and caused surface rust in alot of the topside, underside not very much. I plan to strip it by hand, rust/paint removal disc, the sponge type things that are really stiff, and treat with rust reformer or whatever it is from summit, goes on purple tunrs black, paintable yadda yadda.

Anyways then prime it with some self etch primer or epoxy.

I ordered a few small parts, nuts for the fuel door, and some outside door handles. Might order new inside handles soon, then after christmas see what kinda cash I got and what I can order. I've been on the hunt for some seat tracks, they aint cheap on ebay. I did find a full set for 150, which aint bad, but I don't have it right now.
You must be registered for see images attach

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
This is going to be cool car when you get it finished.

Oldrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
What a project.
Keep us posted.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Got my own 79 project going. At least you have a garage! If you arent looking to make high hp numbers stick with the 403. They are pretty tourqey engines and with a little work you can make decent numbers. Keep up the good work!

The listing below is selling seats. Maybe they have tracks and are willing to ship

https://reading.craigslist.org/pts/d/1979-pontiac-trans-am-parts/6409818010.html

edit
Just looked on car-part.com and saw some listed at junkyards throughout the country. Maybe one of the places can get you set up cheap.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'll have to check car part.com then

yes no big hp numbers, it came with a 4 cap main girlde and I'm only doing basic stock rebuild, cylinder check, hone, crank mic, bearings, rings, oil pump, timing set, cam/lifters, gaskets. If I come across a set of better olds heads I'd swap to bump up CR, if not then eh. I do want a larger cam I want some noise. Be the same with the 350 build basic stock stuff some ported 305 heads, lopey cam

Curt, @crazy4offroad I been all over charleston recently, over there in poca off of 64 guy has some squarebody stuff and camaro stuff even has a 72 nova. I also went over to south charleston over off kanawha turnpike to get the hood he's got alot of firebirds and trans am, some other old chevys like a laguna dodge power ram charger thing, a vette like the wifes but a lil older notch back style, tons of other stuff I'm forgetting.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Even stock for stock rebuild that Olds is gonna be more torquey then the SBC.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I'll have to check car part.com then

yes no big hp numbers, it came with a 4 cap main girlde and I'm only doing basic stock rebuild, cylinder check, hone, crank mic, bearings, rings, oil pump, timing set, cam/lifters, gaskets. If I come across a set of better olds heads I'd swap to bump up CR, if not then eh. I do want a larger cam I want some noise. Be the same with the 350 build basic stock stuff some ported 305 heads, lopey cam

Curt, @crazy4offroad I been all over charleston recently, over there in poca off of 64 guy has some squarebody stuff and camaro stuff even has a 72 nova. I also went over to south charleston over off kanawha turnpike to get the hood he's got alot of firebirds and trans am, some other old chevys like a laguna dodge power ram charger thing, a vette like the wifes but a lil older notch back style, tons of other stuff I'm forgetting.
I'd like to have that 72 Nova if it's a fixxer-upper. I had a 70 model and it was my first car. I remember rebuilding the engine at 16 yrs old, and driving it around the neighborhood with no hood. I took the seats out and had to sit on a milk crate to drive it lol. PM me his contact info, or if it's on craigslist shoot me a link. 72 is my birth year and I'd swap him the big truck depending on the condition.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'd like to have that 72 Nova if it's a fixxer-upper. I had a 70 model and it was my first car. I remember rebuilding the engine at 16 yrs old, and driving it around the neighborhood with no hood. I took the seats out and had to sit on a milk crate to drive it lol. PM me his contact info, or if it's on craigslist shoot me a link. 72 is my birth year and I'd swap him the big truck depending on the condition.

sadly he's not looking to get rid of it he's almost got it done, it's been jambed in a light yellow he has to put glass in, paint outside and then some interior stuff, it's got a tbi 350 thats still tbi

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
A black '79 trans-am with a red interior? I F-ing hate you lol. That's been my dream car since I was like 9 years old.

She's beautiful! I almost bought one back in high school but my old man told me I couldn't keep a death machine in his driveway. I'd love to find one in that shape for sale (the price of clean ones has exploded in recent years).

Please don't put the 350 in it, the T/A deserves a 400 or at least a 403 olds!

Either way I'm sure it'll be a sweet ride when you're done with her (not that it's not right now)

yea poncho 6.6 aka 400 had 220 hp stock and 403 had 185 or so. I forget torque numbers

Yeah the 403 had a noticeably lower HP figure, but IIRC it had close to 400 ft lbs, equal if not a tad more torque than the 400, so it would really only hurt you on the top end. She'd still pull hard as hell and be a regular old donut factory

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Cool car, my first car was a 71 Camaro, I really like the 2nd gens.

I'd run the 403, why not? Especially with the price of them steadily rising. Probably better to keep it as is, or as could have been. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Sweet car! Id say Olds.

Forum statistics