79 k30 steering rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
To be honest this whole crossover swap has been a total waste of time n money. I agree with not getting enough flow, that’s why I installed the high flow psc pump n external reservoir. Hopefully the new box fixes the problem

Just in honesty. You have no lift, no excessive size tire size. Etc etc, crossover really wasn't needed lol, but it is what it is now, might as well make it work.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Check your tires as well.Make sure no bubbles or damage.

Wore out steering dampeners can cause problems.

Broke kingpin springs.Kingpins are easier the ballpoints in my opinion

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci
Got the new steering box installed. Checked the steering without the box and it moves nice no binding. The steering effort seems alittle better with the new box but not much. Still way more effort than factory steering was. The steering groans when you turn the wheel. Never did this before. Sounds like it’s coming from the new steering box.

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci
Tires are new. Steering stabilizer is new. King pins were replaced a few years ago.

here’s a video if the steering noise
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Sounds like something is really wrong lol. I have no idea what that noise is.

Did you top off fluid and bleed the system when you installed the new box?

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci
Yes the fluid was topped off and system bled correctly. Doesn’t sound like it’s the pump or belt. I think it’s the new steering box making noise. Also where the line from hydro boost to steering box threads into the steering box the line only went in a couple turns before bottoming out. On the other box it screwed almost all the way in. I contacted PSC on Friday but no reply yet. Not sure what to do

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci
Been trying to figure out the noise from the steering. It feels like the line from hydro boost to steering gear box is vibrating more than anything else when the steering groans. The line is only a year or two old. Maybe the hydro boost is going out? Could this effect the steering effort ?

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci
When stopping on a hill the brake pedal takes more force to hold the truck still than before the crossover. After crossover was installed, I had only driven about 30 min when I stopped for gas and the power steering pump was out of fluid. The shop was supposed to flush n bleed the system. I thought the increased steering effort and brake effort were symptoms of the burned up power steering pump. New hi performance pump, external reservoir and cooler helped alittle but not like I was expecting. So had a new steering box installed and that helped alittle but still had hard steering and now a groan noise when I turn at low speeds. The line from the hydroboost to steering gear vibrates more than the other lines when the steering groans. I performed the hydroboost function test and determined there was no change to pedal position or feel. I thinking it’s time to replace the hydroboost. Any thoughts? Any links to a quality hydroboost replacement?

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I just bought a rebuilt hydro boost from Napa. It was the mechanical piece I had not replaced on my chassis during this rebuild process and it has finally started to leak. I've had pretty good luck with Napa parts over the last 30 years, BUT the rebuilt Napa steering box I put in a few years ago has a seal that is leaking. So i'm now going to have to install another under warranty.

With regards to the POL set up you linked, I checked with the Napa site and our M/C bores are 1.3125" (1 5/16") the POL is only 1". This is probably more designed for a retrofit for a 1/2 ton with a vacuum boost system. In the photo from POL, you can see the plated bracket behind the plate with the 4 bolts. That would not be used for our trucks and the rod to hook to the pedal is different. The one I bought looks like the one below.

Lu Blunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
350ci

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Been trying to figure out the noise from the steering. It feels like the line from hydro boost to steering gear box is vibrating more than anything else when the steering groans. The line is only a year or two old. Maybe the hydro boost is going out? Could this effect the steering effort ?

Apologies, twice actually.
1. I didn't see your reply
2. I honestly do not know alot about hydro boost other than it doesn't use engine vacuum

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hadn’t read this thread yet. Way more issues than someone who’s dropped that kind of $ into their steering should have!

Couple suggestions.
1. Not likely, but caster. With all the work has the caster been maxed out (trying to solve the death wobble)? Excessive positive caster will result in very positive return to center of the wheel and dead straight, follow every crack in the pavement driving behavior. It could make the steering effort harder too. But doesn’t seem near as much as your steering effort.
2. Bad parts are always a possibility. 2 bad steering boxes ? Not likely but possible. Have you just plopped in the old original box? I forgot if you said it was broke or just worn. But you did that at the same time as crossover install. So basically has to be one or the other causing it?
3. To eliminate the hydro boost issue, can you bypass the hydro temporarily? Get a fitting to hook high to low pressure (not sure if that’s a good idea) or just plug the high pressure line or port off the pump? The pump will still flow to the steering box.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota