'79 Diesel Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700
If anyone cared to click on "other posts by..." you'd see that I'm in the process fo sort of recreating my first vehicle. It was a '79 C10 Heavy Half GMC with the Olds Diesel which had been replaced with a Olds 350R Gasser.

So I've found the truck I'm starting from (a '79 K10 with the right colors - i always wanted a 4wd so i got the K) and will get the interior right with time and money and get the exterior just right (it's close, just needs a recolor on the greenhouse and a smooth rear bumper) BUT, I'm having trouble figuring out how to replicate that diesel exhaust.

I haven't ever seen those pipes anywhere but on THAT truck - a pipe out each side, behind the rear wheel, oval shaped with a peice of perforated metal about an inch inside.

I'm sure any originals i could find at a yard are just rusty stumps by now. Does anyone make a reproduction of this exhaust pipe?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
If anyone cared to click on "other posts by..." you'd see that I'm in the process fo sort of recreating my first vehicle. It was a '79 C10 Heavy Half GMC with the Olds Diesel which had been replaced with a Olds 350R Gasser.

So I've found the truck I'm starting from (a '79 K10 with the right colors - i always wanted a 4wd so i got the K) and will get the interior right with time and money and get the exterior just right (it's close, just needs a recolor on the greenhouse and a smooth rear bumper) BUT, I'm having trouble figuring out how to replicate that diesel exhaust.

I haven't ever seen those pipes anywhere but on THAT truck - a pipe out each side, behind the rear wheel, oval shaped with a peice of perforated metal about an inch inside.

I'm sure any originals i could find at a yard are just rusty stumps by now. Does anyone make a reproduction of this exhaust pipe?
Closest you could come, is Walker, AP, or IMCO. But even then, I think they may have standard round outlets. I know exactly the pipes you are talking about, and if you find a good exhaust guy thats willing, they can be duplicated.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Was this only on the 5.7 diesels or on the 6.2's as well? I have an '82 or so out in the pasture that had a 6.2 and I could check out the exhaust on it.

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700
Was this only on the 5.7 diesels or on the 6.2's as well? I have an '82 or so out in the pasture that had a 6.2 and I could check out the exhaust on it.

I have no idea if it was on the 6.2 also, but would very much appreciate a peek (and pic) if you get a hankerin for a feild trip.

If i recall correctly they came out with 90deg bends.

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700
Closest you could come, is Walker, AP, or IMCO. But even then, I think they may have standard round outlets. I know exactly the pipes you are talking about, and if you find a good exhaust guy thats willing, they can be duplicated.

I saw some promising stuff from mandrelbendingsolutions too ($320 for a muffler-back stainless kit). They have oval pipe, alas no screen inside (what was the purpose of that screen, anyway?).

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Alrighty. I'm planning on going up there this weekend(they're at my brother's house), so I'll try and remember to take a pic.

I know it has dual exhaust, but other than that I never paid much attention. My '84 is a 6.2 and has dual exhaust as well, but the pipes are pretty rough and I'm sure they've been replaced before.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I saw some promising stuff from mandrelbendingsolutions too ($320 for a muffler-back stainless kit). They have oval pipe, alas no screen inside (what was the purpose of that screen, anyway?).

I always thought it was spark/flme arrestor. Ford had the same thing.

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700
Well, to at least get the rediculous noise under control I've ordered a full set of dual 2.25" pipes and Turbo mufflers from Jegs. Midas wanted $1,200...two days later: no we can do better, $600 for the same setup. Jegs.com + $240 and the box is shipped to my house. Luckily the rig is tall enough that i can work on a creeper without even jacking it up. SO, after I get it quiet I can put some miles on it and get it well sorted.

Guess I'll have to keep searching for my oval diesel tips. If anyone can even give me the dimensions i can start looking at generics that i can stuff a flame arrestor into.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well, to at least get the rediculous noise under control I've ordered a full set of dual 2.25" pipes and Turbo mufflers from Jegs. Midas wanted $1,200...two days later: no we can do better, $600 for the same setup. Jegs.com + $240 and the box is shipped to my house. Luckily the rig is tall enough that i can work on a creeper without even jacking it up. SO, after I get it quiet I can put some miles on it and get it well sorted.

Guess I'll have to keep searching for my oval diesel tips. If anyone can even give me the dimensions i can start looking at generics that i can stuff a flame arrestor into.

Turbos will still be a little loud, but for the tips, check out Meg's....you may be able to find something close.
If you find that the exhaust is still too loud, you can install a couple of glasspacks ahead of the mufflers.

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700
Turbos will still be a little loud, but for the tips, check out Meg's....you may be able to find something close.
If you find that the exhaust is still too loud, you can install a couple of glasspacks ahead of the mufflers.

Well, techincally they're 18" "Super" Turbos, maybe that's a little better.

Yes, a couple extra glasspacks would fit nicely where those pesky cats used to be.

At the VERY least, it will all come out where it's supposed to.

And here's an idea for tips: Factory Ovals from a ~'00 Firebird (They're aluminum, too)

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well, techincally they're 18" "Super" Turbos, maybe that's a little better.

Yes, a couple extra glasspacks would fit nicely where those pesky cats used to be.

At the VERY least, it will all come out where it's supposed to.

And here's an idea for tips: Factory Ovals from a ~'00 Firebird (They're aluminum, too)

Those are a little short, i had them on My 01 ws6 T/A...would be like the tip on a 99 tahoe limited. the megs tips are oval, then transition to round as they go back.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
You need to keep it those pipes as open as possible. Diesel gases have to escape. You can buys some resonator inserts from summit/jegs inexpensively that will knock a few decibels down and keep flow.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You need to keep it those pipes as open as possible. Diesel gases have to escape. You can buys some resonator inserts from summit/jegs inexpensively that will knock a few decibels down and keep flow.

Solorez rezonators are the ultimate.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I guess I had to reread that it has a 350 gas now. Shooooot. To each there own. That makes it quiet enough IMO.. Lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've had those Meg's oval tips on my '69 Impala for 14 years, they still look new. It's stored at my mom's place, I can go over there and get pics if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charkmapman