79 250 integrated head exhaust manifold crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79Square

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1L 250
I have noticed that I have a cracked exhaust manifold for my 79 250 inline 6 with the integrated head. I have searched online, and can not find anything for a replacement. I can find plenty for the NON integrated. Can anyone help on where I can find one? Thanks.

DBarre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250c.i./4.1L
I have the integrated head from my '81 if you would like to buy it. I make no guarantees on the condition. All it's doing right now is taking up space in my garage. Shipping would be killer though.

But might I offer a suggestion as well? Cracking is a common problem with the integrated head and the solution is usually to replace it with the non-integrated head and intake manifold rather than replacing a part that is likely to crack again.

79Square

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1L 250
The head is okay, but the exhaust manifold is what's cracked. Do you have the exhaust manifold?

On the replacing the head, etc., everything runs really well, and I'd hate to go through replacing, head, manifolds, etc. But what I'm realizing, that the integrated head seems to be a lot of problems for a lot of us. It may be what I'll need to do.

DBarre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250c.i./4.1L
I guess I should have read more carefully! It was a long day. I do have the exhaust manifold and a relatively new gasket for it. There were a few broken bolts in it before that caused an exhaust leak and I had to have it repaired with a couple of thread inserts. Other than that, it's all good. I can probably even give you all the bolts!

I ended up swapping the engine from my grandpa's '78 because I know he took care of it. The swap solved a lot of my problems. You can check out my thread here: 81 C10 Six Banger

If your engine is running well, I think you have the right idea leaving it alone.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had an '81 250 with a cracked head. Our parts guy from NAPA in Fairbanks, AK took the head and shipped it to Seattle I think and had it repaired for me, the cost was reasonable. This was back in the 90's so it's not too sharp in my memory but, I believe there is someone out there that repairs them. That was a good engine, very durable and long lived. I ran that truck for 11 years and I bought it used. I traded it to my neighbor for some paving work until his son crashed it. I think it was the longest I ever owned a vehicle.
It was a SWB, Custom Deluxe, 250, 3 speed on the column, no power anything, very simple and reliable

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I have noticed that I have a cracked exhaust manifold for my 79 250 inline 6 with the integrated head. I have searched online, and can not find anything for a replacement. I can find plenty for the NON integrated. Can anyone help on where I can find one? Thanks.

I am swapping my 250 non integrated head for a 194 non integrated head, so if you want it, you can have it.

79Square

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1L 250
I am looking for the integrated head exhaust manifold, and I don't think yours will fit, but I appreciate the offer.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I am looking for the integrated head exhaust manifold, and I don't think yours will fit, but I appreciate the offer.
What does it look like? I have the head and accessory drive of a 76 nova with a 250. even carb.

WamboJambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I've got a '78 250 which someone has already replaced the head with a non-integrated, so I'm not speaking from experience, but from what I've read about the integrated heads was that it was just a cast head/intake with a bolt on exhaust manifold, right? So are the exhaust manifolds not the same between the two?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I guess i dont know if this is a 250 head or not, but here it is. it was next to the nova parts

You must be registered for see images attach

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
So I've got a '78 250 which someone has already replaced the head with a non-integrated, so I'm not speaking from experience, but from what I've read about the integrated heads was that it was just a cast head/intake with a bolt on exhaust manifold, right? So are the exhaust manifolds not the same between the two?
They are different, and there is at least two different versions of those. (Integrated head exhaust manifolds). Replacing that head with the standard head was the right thing to do.

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
I had an '81 250 with a cracked head. Our parts guy from NAPA in Fairbanks, AK took the head and shipped it to Seattle I think and had it repaired for me, the cost was reasonable. This was back in the 90's so it's not too sharp in my memory but, I believe there is someone out there that repairs them. That was a good engine, very durable and long lived. I ran that truck for 11 years and I bought it used. I traded it to my neighbor for some paving work until his son crashed it. I think it was the longest I ever owned a vehicle.
It was a SWB, Custom Deluxe, 250, 3 speed on the column, no power anything, very simple and reliable
I also had an 81 6 cylinder, but the engine failed under warrantee, so I bought a 292, which is what I actually wanted in the first place. Was able to order mounting brackets for the accessories, hooked up everything like it was stock. The smog sniffers never knew the difference, except for one older guy who smiled and winked. He passed it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84