78 K5 Tailgate Lock Mechanism

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Okay so I lost the keys to my K5 during my move back in March. It's a project I am trying to get back on the road (sat for 10 years at my Father-in-law's place in the woods.... so he gave it to me. Pretty nice of him I must say.....). So I got the ignition lock cylinder replaced, no problem. Gas cap, no problem. Doors I can do no problem, did them on my K10.

That dang tailgate though...... the window is rolled up in it, but I took the top loose and got the whole thing to drop down. So it probably isn't great that it's sitting like that but I figured I could get to it easier, plus it had mold inside.... lol.

So my question is how do I get the window to go down manually? I don't see anything like what the doors have to get the windows down. I just need to take the lock mechanism out so I can replace it, but haven't a clue how to get in there and get it out. Does anyone have any pointers??

Thanks...

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I figured it out. Had to remove the bolts holding the window in then remove the bolts holding the window regulator in. Then it was easy peasy getting the lock out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe