78 C10 and Smog

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77c10s10

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I bought a 78 C10 a little while ago and I am in the process of rebuilding it. It originally came with the 250 straight six (that did not come with the truck when I bought it) and I want to swap in a 350 sbc and keep it carburated. The problem is I live in California and have to smog it to get it registered. Does anyone know what parts I need to get it to pass smog with the 350? Would I need to get it inspected by DMV/CHP? Thanks in advance.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I bought a 78 C10 a little while ago and I am in the process of rebuilding it. It originally came with the 250 straight six (that did not come with the truck when I bought it) and I want to swap in a 350 sbc and keep it carburated. The problem is I live in California and have to smog it to get it registered. Does anyone know what parts I need to get it to pass smog with the 350? Would I need to get it inspected by DMV/CHP? Thanks in advance.

Engine swaps in CA are a pain in the ass. I suggest buying a 75 or older pre-smog truck, or getting a diesel square body (diesels pre-97 are smog exempt) to work with.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
You'll have to meet the standards for a '78 with a 350. The BAR states "All exhaust emission controlled vehicles with engine changes must be inspected by an official Referee station and must have a Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Referee label affixed to the doorpost." Easiest thing to do is contact them and have them tell you what is required. https://www.bar.ca.gov/About_BAR/Contact_Us.html

77c10s10

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I want to build off the truck I currently have because it is a clean straight body and is 99% rust free.

I'll contact the Bureau and see what they say.

77c10s10

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I was just reading on the BAR website and it says if you replace the engine in the vehicle with a different engine that was offered the same year in the same make and model, it does not require a referee inspection. This might have just made my life so much easier!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceyman72