77 Kawasaki KZ750--New Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
Well, the 48 chevy is gone.. This here's my new project / toy, 1977 KZ 750 twin. Original frame with hardtail and streched 6 inches, sportster peanut ank, drag bars, and a god-awful rear Harley plastic fender.
You must be registered for see images attach

This pic is sorta the style im goin for..

still haven't decided on paint or a lot of other stuff but, I have nailed down a few details. The ugly ass rear fender has to go, the seat is horrible, and the brake light needs to go. Keeping the spoke wheels and the bars, and Ive got to remount the tank so it fits the frame better. For the time being it needs new tires, I'll probably just ride it for now, this winter ill tear it down, paint it, and do all my fab work.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Not sure if you need anything, but i have a Kawasaki A3 that im parting out, the people i got it from put a 3 wheeler 200cc on it and never got it runnign right, so i brought it home and tuned it and rode it till the ignition controller when out, after finding out that its 200$ for another, i said nope.

So if you need anything let me know. The tank is next to spotless, and its orange.

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
Nothin I can think of right now.. appreciate it tho... damn thing's givin me hell now, it runs great then when it gets good and warmed up it dies and wont do anything, then when it cools down it fires right up.. left me on the side of the road twice. Noticed the last time it died the coil was flamin hot, gonna change it to dual coils and see if thats my problem

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Damn that thing just looks like a nut buster, but than again I've never been a fan of a ridged frame.

Yes please get rid of that UGLY ass fender. LOL

Keep us posted on this one. :waytogo:

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
Will do ... and yeah it does ride like its got square wheels but the seat is pretty much rigid mounted too.. once I fix that it probably won't be that bad..

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
Bit of an update and a few pics...

Got the new coils mounted and wired up ( I know its rigged and looks like **** but its just temporary till I can build a good bracket to mount them on ) its gettin fire but still wont start. Pretty sure I wired them right, exactly how the original one was wired. Got me a bit puzzled...

Got a new to me muffler, off a Harley sportster. After I do a little tuning on it with a sharpened piece of rebar I'll make a 2 into 1 exhaust turned up at about 45 degrees and even with the edge off fender.

Better shot of the tail light.. all L.E.D.s. looks cool at night but ugly in the day, gonna try and find some kind of old tail light housing that I can stuff this thing into

DesertK20

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
SBC
I've owned a few KZ's, swap the coils around and make sure you didn't accidentally switch sides when wiring them up. Fat blue spark? Also, if you haven't done already, pull your carbs completely apart, chem dip them overnight and replace the needle seats/float bowl gaskets.

Also, kzrider.com is one of the best KZ resources on the net.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
I dont think you could have possiby wired them backwards, cause dont the single coils run on a wasted spark system??? It fires both plugs at the same time. So also yes your gonna only fire 1 plug per coil with this new setup, but its still gonna fire at twice the rate.

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
Yep it does have the wasted spark system. Its firing but not very good, very weak spark, and it still wont fire up..

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
Does it have enough voltage to charge 2 coils??

And I had this problem on a Honda I have. I unplugged the rectifier to see if it changed anything, and it fired right up, the rectifier limits the voltage going to everything else, including your charging system, so when i unhooked it, it provided full voltage to my coil on the power cycle.

WARNING:using any lights when the rectifier is unhooked will blow them. Your trying to feed them full voltage that the stator is putting out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1