Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I live in Ohio and bought mine in southeast Tennessee, I too had the intentions of driving mine home. The fuel gauge didn't work, and of course I only made it about 10 miles from the lady's house before I ran out of gas. I didn't know which tank was the one that worked, so I called the lady and asked her... she said that she 'thought' is was the driver's side tank that worked. So we drove 30 minutes to the nearest gas station and filled up my 5 gallon can ( I was super happy that I brought it with me) and drove 30 minutes back to the truck. Dumped fuel in the left tank. No dice. Drove 30 min back to the gas station, filled up the can, drove 30 minutes back and put fuel in the passenger side tank. Bingo! Drove 30 minutes back to the gas station and filled up the truck. That was the only time I have EVER filled that crew cab up and nobody commented on it, but it was a weekend and not far from Tellico (still open then) so the whole area was crawling with old 4x4's. Anyway, I got back on the road and about 40 miles later, I was broke down on the side of the road. I thought the transmission or transfer case had failed. Called AAA so they could tow me to a friend's place in Greeneville TN. I told them that it was a crew cab, long bed, with a winch and big brush guard on the front, so it needed to be a very long rollback. Waited an hour for a short rollback to show up, I told the driver that it wasn't going to fit. We tried anyway... nope, didn't fit. Waited 2 more hours for another rollback. That guy showed up and we loaded up. The driver asked how to get to the destination and I said "I'm not entirely sure, but you should know since you live here". We followed that guy around for almost 4 hours as he fumbled his way to Greeneville, which my friend said should have only taken an hour or so. It had been about an 18 hour ordeal just getting from Turtletown to Greeneville. I ended up leaving the truck at my friend's house for a couple weeks, then payed a local rollback driver 500 bucks to go get the truck. I should have done that to start with.

holy crap haha the things we do for our rigs. My towing experience wasn't that bad, i was actually highly impressed with our tow after all the hassel we went through to get it. Whatever it takes if you ask me. Especially with all of these "special" people nowadays that can't understand phrases like "you live around here" or "it's not going to fit"

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
So, how gnarly do you want to go?
Or, how much do you have to spend on it?

If you put lockers on it, it will be really really hard to get stuck. Those go forever wheelbases, the front end is hip deep in much and rear wheels are still on the pavement. Need air lockers front and rear for a full skidder send.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Keeping what @bucket had said before, i believe it's a '74 body put onto a late 70s 4wd frame. I have yet to look even further at it as i've been busy but this is what i am thinking right now. Trying to figure out the 80457-3 Holley carb, so far i've only dealt with Quadrajets. 462 is also a little sloppy. Alot of leaks (engine oil brake fluid and power steering) i don't know why but it is ALWAYS power steering leak

You must be registered for see images attach

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
My brother with the '74 and '77

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thats a nice truck. not a huge fan of duallys too many tires to buy. Haha. Man theres a crew cab down the road from the house that I see everyday that hasnt moved. If i had the money id talk to the guy about it. there is another one off of I20 right down the road from 304 going towards seguin. Not sure if it has moved or not but again no money.

Last edited:

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
it looks like the turns and grille are also not a 74 so thats excellent question

plus the crew cab dually 4x4 is also not possible combo in 74 yes?

yeah @bucket pointed that out. after further review, it was a frame swap. frame is SOO clean, makes most sense. assuming from a late 70s square, as to why the grille and bezels were also transferred, must not have survived the swap. perhaps we'll have to put it back to early 70s. most likely

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
yeah @bucket pointed that out. after further review, it was a frame swap. frame is SOO clean, makes most sense. assuming from a late 70s square, as to why the grille and bezels were also transferred, must not have survived the swap. perhaps we'll have to put it back to early 70s. most likely

Either way, it's still an awesome truck. Don't let the frame swap take a single thing away from it!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Of course, its awesome!

Fat 454

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban
Engine Size
I have to add my 2c worth now - this is my dream truck ( or one of them.. ) -

Its a SRW tonner ( K 30 ) - and a total basket case no drive line at all, just the axles. Frame looks OK tho' and amazingly the body has ( almost ) NO rust. Oh , and its right hand drive. I think I have just found an NP205, and I have an SM465 4 speed to go in. The VIN says it was built with a 4.2 diesel, which is what is going to go in, as I can't afford a 6BT...
Plan is to swap on a '73 front end and stock 8 lug steelies. stock paint job with full trim, buckets and woodgrain interior. I'm thinking of posting a build thread, and want it to end up like this ...

Dreamin - probably, Obsessed? - you bet....

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I have to add my 2c worth now - this is my dream truck ( or one of them.. ) -

Its a SRW tonner ( K 30 ) - and a total basket case no drive line at all, just the axles. Frame looks OK tho' and amazingly the body has ( almost ) NO rust. Oh , and its right hand drive. I think I have just found an NP205, and I have an SM465 4 speed to go in. The VIN says it was built with a 4.2 diesel, which is what is going to go in, as I can't afford a 6BT...
Plan is to swap on a '73 front end and stock 8 lug steelies. stock paint job with full trim, buckets and woodgrain interior. I'm thinking of posting a build thread, and want it to end up like this ...

Dreamin - probably, Obsessed? - you bet....

BEAUTIFUL. projects gotta start somewhere bud

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr