700R4 to SM465 maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks I think your right about the manual swap I just kind of wanted to gather a little more info on it. I thought about going to the TH400 at one point and also the TH350. Other than the TH350 is the same length as the 700R4 there aren't really any benefits that I can see. Although I know guys will debate the the gear ratios in the 350 & 400 are closer together and that can be a good thing, but I've come to like the lower 1st ratio in the 700, and I'd like it more with a lower rear end ratio. The benefit in the TH400 is the added strength, but the driveline length has to be changed, or am I wrong about that? If the 700 & the 400 are the same length I'd give it some consideration.

I am not tuned into values in the slightest. I don't watch Bringatrailer, and I do not like modern drive train in an old truck. To me that ruins them, I do like original, or factoryish. Hence the reason why when the 305 dies, I'll likely be putting in a 350, possibly mildly built, of course with hauling and towing in mind. (I will tell the builder the future plan when I get the 700R4 rebuilt). My point is from that prospective I do place some personal value on keeping a truck born an automatic and automatic. The big plus to the SM465 really is control and durability. I've already written off the SM465 idea really.

I haven't hauled a load in pickup with a SM465 in it in probably 25 years, but I get to drive customer rigs at the shop with them, and not this year but the prior several years a medium duty truck one of the valley farms owns during harvest, but as you'd expect it has a 2 speed rear end, which kind of changes things since there is 8 forward gears instead of 4. I also remember the amount of time it takes to change gears with an SM465 can be problematic when loaded or towing.

In the end it's all a trade off one way or another. I don't wanna rebuild the 700R4 and kill it in a couple years, I can hardly afford that, but on the other hand it made it all these years, and I've got a huge cooler and temp gauge. I've never overheated this one and I'll be sure not to do that to the rebuild. I do value the low first gear, and the over drive for the added economy when empty. When I eventually get around to changing the rear end gearing (currently 3.41 (Yikes)), keeping the 700R4 makes 4.10 or even 4.56 gears reasonable, even on the highway at moderate speeds (I did a lot of the RPM calculations a year or more ago)

Yea, she's a good work truck for me for sure and I'm sure I'll still be using it for work for a LONG time to come.

So if I have the local guy overhaul my 700R4, maybe while it's out I should be swapping that semi-float 3.41 ratio for that FF 4.10 or 4.56 I've been wanting for years now. I gotta get on my bicycle and find me a rear end and installation parts if that's going to happen.

Iirc, the 700r4 is the same length as the long tail th350 that was used in the same time frame. With my short wheelbase '84 (no carrier bearing) I was able to swap the th350 for a th400 and use the stock shaft. It was a fixed output on the th400, which I removed. I also removed the stock 27 spline slip yoke from the driveshaft and installed a long 32 spline slip yoke from an 80's K10. It all fit up with zero modifications.

You raise several good points about retaining the 700 though. 4:10+ gearing would work wonderfully with it and it helps that you have a trans temp gauge that you pay attention to.

You need to really trust your trans builder though. Even if it has a good warranty, you need it to last much longer than that.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Iirc, the 700r4 is the same length as the long tail th350 that was used in the same time frame. With my short wheelbase '84 (no carrier bearing) I was able to swap the th350 for a th400 and use the stock shaft. It was a fixed output on the th400, which I removed. I also removed the stock 27 spline slip yoke from the driveshaft and installed a long 32 spline slip yoke from an 80's K10. It all fit up with zero modifications.

You raise several good points about retaining the 700 though. 4:10+ gearing would work wonderfully with it and it helps that you have a trans temp gauge that you pay attention to.

You need to really trust your trans builder though. Even if it has a good warranty, you need it to last much longer than that.
Your last line. I have a problem there. I use to have not a builder but a company that I trusted, they were kind of far off but within a couple hours drive. I'd had them do lots of work for the shop and I have three of their trannies in my personal vehicles. The 1st and 2nd one were great and are still in service. Then they built a bomb for a customers rig, but eventually fixed it. Then they built me a disaster for my Dakota. A 42RH, I've heard it said they are an easy tranny to rebuild but IDK. This thing has never shifted right, and to this day is not right. I pulled the tranny twice, once for the initial rebuild, once for them to make it F*ing worse, and the third time they wanted the entire truck, and did quite a bit of damage pulling and installing the transmission and I got it back working the best of all their rebuilds but IDK something is wrong with the governor I think, as it'll over speed the engine if I hammer down.

So all that is to say I'm gun shy. I need to take the leap off faith and use this guy and see what happens. At least in this scenario he is sort of nearby, and I'm actually talking to the same person that will be building my transmission. The times I've talked to him on the phone he's been attentive and talked about previous 700R4 builds he's done and rattled down the list of standard improvements without me having to prompt him so I feel like he knows what he's talking about anyway.

Honestly the warranty is one of the things that makes me shy away from using Bowtie. I mean they have pretty darn good online reviews but a 1 year warranty just doesn't inspire confidence in my book. At least using a local guy that's 45 minutes away I can easily drive the entire truck up there and show him what I'm not happy with if there is an issue. I think I just need to take the leap of faith.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think this truck needs a 90s SBC 4l60e with a controller
just kidding, but you do have the column shifter already set up for a 4 speed so that is good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD