700R4 to 4 speed manual question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lifted91K5

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I have a '91 K5 with the 700r4 and 241c transfer case. Im wanting to put in a 4 speed manual. It is a hydraulic clutch setup and the pedals i have are for cable clutch. Will those pedals work?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There is no cable clutch option used in Squares that I'm aware of. There is the manual linkage Z bar type, and the hydraulic type.

Lifted91K5

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thats what i meant. Sorry. Lol. Would the Z bar pedals work in/on a hydraulic 4 speed?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sure, you'lll just have to drill the proper holes for the linkage and it'll be all good.

However, let me bring up 1 big issue that might make you change your mind. I too am all for Z bar manual linkage. I'm a Muncie 4 speed street racer. When I've driven 2 different other hydro clutch vehicles, you can actually use your speed shift clutch methods and be shifting fast enough you end up with slave cylinder piston float and/or can even pop the piston out of the slave. So yeah, I"m for the Z bar linkage I was used to back in the day, but someone here brought to my attention about frame flex while aggressivley wheeling. When you twist it up, that is going to throw all your clutch liknkage and Z bar geometry off and can even bend it. SOOOOOOOO, with that point made I agreed. Not like I'm drag racing an off road truck and no need to be shifting so fast and so aggressive on the clutch I'd be popping out the slave piston. The hydro clutch is most likely the better option for an off-road truck.

Also will be issues with linkage if you do any body lift at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels