700r4 swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast_n_low86

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
7.4L
Ok, since my motor grenaded on me I am installing a stock 350 and 700r4. I have a few questions about doing the 700r4 swap. Mainly what will I need to change when installing this. I'm going from a th350 to the th700r4. The transmission and motor are out of a early 90s chevy which I am converting back to carbureted. What will be required to connect speedometer, electrical, and vacuum?

Attachments

• 20230413_163134.jpg
    20230413_163134.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 39

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The 700 requires no vaccum. What it does require is a TV cable and the proper brackets to make it work correctly. If you are using a Q-Jet, make sure you have the proper factory brackets. You will need to transfer the throttle arm from a factory 700 equipped q-Jet to your existing carb.

Read this:

If your using a primitive Holley or inferior edelbrock () there are aftermarket brackets for pretty much any model carb.

Whatever you do, make absolutely sure the TV cable is installed and adjusted right. Close enough won’t work. You will burn up the trans on no time if it’s not right.

As for the speedo, does your 700 have an electric speed sensor or is it set up for an old school cable? If it has cable provisions, I’m you just need the correct gears to make it accurate. If it has an electric speed sensor, you will still need the correct gears, and the speedo hosing and clip. Remove the extension housing, use a bearing splitter or gear puller to remove the speed sensor tone wheel, install the correct drive gear and clip, remove the speed sensor from the extension housing, and install the correct gear and housing and retaining bracket.

Use this chart to calculate the gears you need:

As for the lockup converter, the absolute best, no driver input needed setup is make by Bowler transmission. The kit includes a new solenoid, pressure switch, brake switch, and control module. Once the trans goes into 4th gear, 10 seconds later the converter locks. Hit the brakes, it automatically unlock and relooks 10 seconds later. It’s a pretty slick setup, but it’s also kinda pricey at 190 bucks last time I bought one. You can do it much cheaper with a little wiring, it’s been discussed on this forum many times.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
^^^^^

You will need to move the crossmember back a little and shorten the driveshaft some or find a take out shaft from an overdrive truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019