700r4 speedometer adjustment after gear swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
First sorry for my absence from the forum as of late. I have stage 3 cancer and its been rough. **** Cancer
That being said
I did finally get the Gears and Diff done. Went from 2.7x to 3.90 and now have a eaton truetrac. I just drove it for the first heat cycle and well damn...I didn't anticipate the speedometer being off. I have no clue how to fix this. I expect to find that there is an easy fix, like a gear reduction for the speedo gear or something along that line...however I at this time have not had the energy to do the research. I know I normally would just search first and then ask but im hoping you'll forgive me this time. Any info on the matter will be appreciated.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
IM basically just asking if anyone knows the drive and driven gears size. Im coming up with 15 and 41 for speedo gears. Thats having come from a 2.73 to a 3.90. I think I may also need a larger housing/sleeve for the drive gear on the output shaft too. So basically 15 driven 41 drive would be an exact ratio match with a 28.74 tire.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
https://www.tciauto.com/speedometer-gear-calculator

You need to know exact tire diameter,gear ratio, and ideally either the drive or driven gear tooth count. Play around with entering different gear tooth combinations until you get a drive/driven gear that is as close to a whole number as possible.

For example, if it says you need a driven gear with 33.7 teeth, you could go with either a 33, or 34 teeth. Your speedo will be slightly more accurate with 34 than a 33.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Thanks Matt!! Thats the method and calculator I used to determine the 15-41 combo. I cant imagine why I didnt realize the speedo would change with a gear change. Thankfully its an "easy" fix,LOL.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Thanks Matt!! Thats the method and calculator I used to determine the 15-41 combo. I cant imagine why I didnt realize the speedo would change with a gear change. Thankfully its an "easy" fix,LOL.
It doesn't change with a gear change if your tire size remains the same.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
How do you figure changing final drive gears won’t affect speedometer accuracy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128