700r4 shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Howdy,Havent been here in a while with the move and all.Drove my 85 350-700r4-373s down from Oregon to Reno with no issues.Started pullin a hill and noticed no 4th gear or tcc.Pulled off to get some fuel and it seemed to be locked in tcc,chuggin and allmost stalled.Gased up and now has a hard late 1-2 shift as well as 2-3,still no 4th or tcc.My trans buddy says the TV valve could be sticking.he said warm it up,put it on high idle,disconect the TV cable @ carb and snap it in and out to unstick it and possibly flush out the VB bore and sticking valve. Yeah well NFG .now Im down to pulling the pan/Vbody to see WTF. Any body ran into this before?? Fixes?? This thing shifts so hard on the 1-2 I fear a breakage is coming. BTW all my tools are in Eugene,go figure.Any help would be appreciated...

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Howdy,Havent been here in a while with the move and all.Drove my 85 350-700r4-373s down from Oregon to Reno with no issues.Started pullin a hill and noticed no 4th gear or tcc.Pulled off to get some fuel and it seemed to be locked in tcc,chuggin and allmost stalled.Gased up and now has a hard late 1-2 shift as well as 2-3,still no 4th or tcc.My trans buddy says the TV valve could be sticking.he said warm it up,put it on high idle,disconect the TV cable @ carb and snap it in and out to unstick it and possibly flush out the VB bore and sticking valve. Yeah well NFG .now Im down to pulling the pan/Vbody to see WTF. Any body ran into this before?? Fixes?? This thing shifts so hard on the 1-2 I fear a breakage is coming. BTW all my tools are in Eugene,go figure.Any help would be appreciated...

check the brake switch behind the pedal(not the one close to firewall) it interrupts lockup power to the TCC.
Actual shifting is controlled by the Gov that resides behind the dome shaped cover at the rear left side of the trans.
The TV cable only controls line pressure.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
I have had the spring and plunger in the valve body get sticky . It would be fine then all of a sudden act up. but mine would stick out as if it was in passing gear.I would check the brake switch.

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Got it fixed,pulled the Vbody and found the TV valve sticking.Hit it with some 2000 grit and cleaned it all up,new gaskets filter ect. Total cost under 25$$.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I missed this thread. Glad you got it fixed. I'd have suspected the lock up switch first but yeah, makes sense if it was shifting very late and hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes