700r4 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
is your truck by chance a 700r4 originally or was it perhaps a th350 originally?

Is your geometry for the TV cable correct, is what im getting at. actually, i forgot what you had for an engine... tbi..? Too many trucks and people lol

Totally understand that lol. Originally a 700r4, 350 combo. It still has the 350 but now a bit worked over and warmed up. Nothing too crazy at all. But it does have an edelbrock carb. Intake etc on top. I do have the edelbrock TV geometry adapter fixer piece thing on it. Or at least did (I'd hope the Revis shop would not remove that without asking me). The installing (Revis) shop did say they felt the TV cable was setup and adjusted correctly. And I've never messed with it and just let them take care of it. So I'd hope it's correct. I do have a Lokar TV cable and throttle cable setup so it's not as simple to adjust as the OEM GM stuff was.

They do seem to be trying to duck my phone calls and ultimately I feel they are trying to weasel their way out from under the warranty they put on this thing. But I'm doing my best to hold them to it, despite them being a bunch of asshats.

I sure hope myself and the truck can come out on the other side of this nonsense better off but so far its just been a royal PITA with never ending BS.

ak4life

alaskan born, fed and bred.....lol.
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
81/84 gmc, 2001gmc, 2003 gmc, 2005 chevy
Truck Model
longbed squarebody, longbed 4dr extended cab, yukon sle, 4dr ext. cab
Engine Size
383, 6.0, 5.3, 5.3
Hello everyone!

I recently had a shop (same shop that replaced the 700r4 a year or two ago) do some brake work on my 83 k20.
I got the truck back from them, and I found out they changed my transmission cooler lines around without my knowledge, so I put them back.

I had them bypassing the in radiator "cooler" and going directly to my large stacked plate cooler. This is how I put them back.
I also found out that they overfilled my transmission about a quart too full.
This was causing some massive heat build up and foaming fluid.

Today, I drained the pan and got new fluid to mid of the hash marks on the check stick (warm).
I drove it nicely for about 30 minutes. I noticed the temp gauge hanging a bit high (175-200) and its quite cold outside. Normally, it would stay around 137 in these kind of temps. It would only be getting to 175 in 90 degree+ weather while pulling a trailer on a slow, steep gravel road.
I am also pretty certain my torque converter is no longer locking up. I tested this by cruising along (55-65 mph) and taping the brakes while watching the tach. I did not see the 300-400rpm jump from the converter unlocking. (before, I could see that jump with the same test).

So now... I am trying to go through and check the function of the converter lockup before I end up having to call the shop up and see what they suggest.

The current setup is all pretty stock.
I have the brake switch, the vacuum switch (connected to the manifold vacuum port on the driver's side of my edelbrock 1406), and the factory harness running down to the transmission.

First question - is the manifold vacuum port the correct port for that vacuum lock-up switch? and if so what would be the next thing to check?

or should I just suck it up and call the shop and let them deal with it?

Thanks.. :favorites13:
Im boggled why you havent questioned their motive for work you werent informed of beforehand ( im assuming from your post) and if all was functioning and comfortable for you previously, why not ask why they took it upon themselves to do changes and explain new readings, changes and concerns....imo. it seems a lot of (to some it would be drastic) unrelated work for a brake job, but maybe with good intentions...idk.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Im boggled why you havent questioned their motive for work you werent informed of beforehand ( im assuming from your post) and if all was functioning and comfortable for you previously, why not ask why they took it upon themselves to do changes and explain new readings, changes and concerns....imo. it seems a lot of (to some it would be drastic) unrelated work for a brake job, but maybe with good intentions...idk.
There was definitely a lot going on with that shop at the time. They ended up shutting down after several of their customers came forward with wrongdoings. Turns out, they actually we're leasing the business form the Original owner (who actually did good work) and while they were providing crappy service and over charging people for half assed work. They were selling off (under the table of course) all of the original owners tools and equipment. Once it was all done they claimed their phones weren't working. (For a few weeks) while they skipped town.

Truly a mess. I'm glad to be done with them but they did weasel their way out of warranting my trans which I ended up getting rebuilt again. By someone else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1