700r4 output seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You know that Buffalo Springfield song that starts with "Stop children, what's that sound?". The name of that song is "For What It's Worth".

:sorry:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Everything above is really good advise. But unless I missed it no one really touched on a couple different things.

A properly lubricated seal does not go bad for no reason, worn out bushings and or bearings cause them to fail. Be sure to check for excessive slop in the output shaft, very common for rear case bushings to fail and cause the seal to fail.

Also on the weep hole leaks in the pinion shafts, If you develop a leak in this area I highly suggest you check for a plugged transmission case vent tube. If you have a plugged up vent tube and you plug your weep hole in the pinion you can have several future problems arise
High case pressure causing fluid to blow the dipstick out of the tube and loose fluid there, older weaker valve body gaskets can blow out, as well as input shaft seals.

Very good point

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Originally Posted by chengny
You know that Buffalo Springfield song that starts with "Stop children, what's that sound?". The name of that song is "For What It's Worth".

:sorry:

No no - I only meant that my comments were probably going to be totally useless to the kid. Just like my Buffalo Springfield post.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Don't worry im kinda slow lol

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983
Truck Model
V10 Suburban/V1500 Suburban/M35 bobbed w/dump
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c
Old post but I'm having trouble finding a resolution to my transmission leak and the vent issue discussed got my interest:

I have a 1991 V1500 Suburban (4x4) with a 5.7, 700R4 and NV241 (I believe) transfer case. I have a serious leak that looks like it is coming from the top of the transmission. most of the trans is wet with fluid. The coolant lines don't look like they are the problem but the vent from the transfer case looks like it starts on the right side, goes over the top of the trans to the left side and pokes up on the drivers side of the trans right behind the engine and looks like it might be the cause. Is it possible that the trans fluid is getting forced into the transfer case and then blown out the vent? I'm headed to the auto parts store for some cleaner now so I can flush it all off and maybe see the starting point of the leak. Any ideas on this would help. I'll get back when I have had time to clean it and see better under there. I may remove the inspection cover but it does not look to be coming from inside. Time will tell.

ballencd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
1988/1991/1983
Truck Model
V10 Suburban/V1500 Suburban/M35 bobbed w/dump
Engine Size
5.7/5.7/LDT 465-1c
Guys, I have cleaned the engine, transmission and transfer case and run the vehicle again. The leak looks to be coming from the top of the engine and not inside the bell housing. I pulled the fill plug from the 241C transfer case and it looks like it is full to the top and not just to the fill plug level. Is it possible for the fluid to pass between the transmission and into the transfer case? Where do I go from here? Thanks

texasag91

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy 4x4
Engine Size
350 TBI
ballencd, I know this is late but I had the same issue with my 1991 GMC Jimmy. Transmission fluid leaking from top of transmission. Finally found the issue. The detent cable going into the top of the transmission has a seal. Mine was bad so I replaced it. But it kept leaking. So I had to replace the whole detent cable and it fixed the issue. Hope this helps. Now I have the same problem as above with the weep hole. Guess this happens over time when you don't drive the vehicle much and it sits. Seals get dry and when you finally drive they don't seal anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike