7 digit odometer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Saw this in an add for an 86 truck.
So I looked it up and all the “new” speedos for sale for these trucks will also register 100,000s, which I’d never noticed before.
What’s the deal? Law changed and even new odometers for old vehicles have to have the extra 0?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Saw this in an add for an 86 truck.
So I looked it up and all the “new” speedos for sale for these trucks will also register 100,000s, which I’d never noticed before.
What’s the deal? Law changed and even new odometers for old vehicles have to have the extra 0?
I'm not sure exactly what changed to make this happen. But the one I put in my truck (LMC buy) when the old speedo got wonky has a 100,000 mark. I'd imagine those rotary counters just aren't made with only 5 digits anymore.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok so I just cruised over to LMC on my web browser. They still picture a 5 digit as in XX,***.X for 80' and prior, 6 digit 7 if you count the tenth for 81' and up. Last time I looked they were still picturing 5 digit odometers for 80 - 87. I'm not sure I really care personally if I bought one it wouldn't matter but I'm not doing a period correct restoration either. However my thinking is if we have to go to a 7 digit unit, it's to bad they don't add a tripometer. There were a few squares I think the later suburbans right before the electronic speedo change over that rolled factory with a mechanical speedo, and tripometer. That to me would motivate a purchase. Also do keep in mind that there are places that will rebuild your existing speedometer. I think the last place the shop used for a speedometer overhaul was Tacoma speedo. IIRC it was on a 55 Chev and I think our cost on the rebuild was around $250.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^i don’t have any issues but that picture caught my eye. And one would think the changeover happened a while ago since the pictures one has 150k on it and looked like a grampa truck. Not many people piling on the miles on an old truck.
You must be registered for see images attach