6.2 diesel 82 suburban completely dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Hey everyone, I posted earlier bout some issues which are now minor, gauges n horns etc...

So I pulled apart the dash, gauges, bezel, everything, and the truck would still start, the glow plug light would turn on, I'd hear the brrrrrrr of the fuel pump.

I was tracing and cleaning grounds trying to fix electrical issues, changed fuses, etc...

Today I was testing headlights and they were dead, tried to start and heard nothing.
No clunk for glow plugs or lights, no fuel pump cycling, entirely dead.
The batteries were drained, so before starting I charged them up.
My voltage tester clipped to -ve and testing ignition solenoid lit up.

Fuses are all okay.
I dont know what caused the battery drain, or why turning the key does nothing, i suspect electrical because the universe knows it's my weakness.

Like i said, other than tracing wires and cleaning ground and fuses I havent done anything major.
I dont hear any clicking of relays, dead silence.
Please help. Just to have all the facts, it started last week, and I've removed the bench coz I found a few rust spots that I'll touch up. I'm sure it's not related but I'm just covering everything.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
You must be registered for see images attach

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
I also read another post, something about ignition VIA the windshield wiper module... which I'd disconnected for wire tracing, anyway, (see pic) it's quite a piece of kit for a relatively simple control for windshield wipers.
Anyways, I plugged it all back in, checked the fuse, fuse was ok, still nothing.

Silver knob is headlights, black is windshield wipers, seen from top.

I read something about the starter maybe being an issues, but, I've got no lights, no fuel pump or glow plugs, wouldn't the pre start conditions (glow plugs)still work if it was a starter issue?
I'm trying to reverse things I'd done to see if I can find out what it was. No luck yet.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How about the fusible link in the main power wire ?

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Thanks for the reply Dmack,

I havent looked at fusible link. I'd charged my batteries and after that didnt work I screwed around with the wiper fuse and reconnecting that module pictured above.
And when that didny work, I was just going in reverse of things i did that could be undone.
Dark now, so I'll check it in the morning.
I'll add it to the list of stuff to check.
So far, I've got
1. Starter (wiring and contacts.)
2. Steering column, ignition switch buried deep within.
3. Fusible link.
Not in any particular order.

Can someone talk me out of the starter, I'm skeptical but there have just been a lot if posts about it.
I mean I get nothing, from off to acc to run to start. Not a beep, light or sound.
If I had glow plugs and fuel pump going and no crank then yes, starter would be my go to.
Anyways, I'm ranting.

Thank for the tip

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The reason people say starter isn't actually the starter cranking. Chevy used the starter stud as a junction block so all power from the battery to the rest of the truck is connected on the starter. Also why there are fusible links coming off the starter. First thing I would do is recheck everything you touched. Maybe you forgot to reconnect a ground when you were cleaning them or maybe one of the fuses you replaced wasn't good. Then I'd disconnect both batteries and remove the starter connections and clean them up. Then retighten everything and connect the batteries and see if you have anything.

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
I did remove a 3rd horn on passenger side, I was cleaning the ground that bolts to the horn bracket. The passenger side had no wiring and I noticed a 3rd horn connected underneath it. Anyway, if a ground to a component that wasnt even connected is cause for this I'm gonna be dumbfounded.

As for that starter I guess it makes sense why it would cause a ni shart, even prevent my pre start conditions.

Would a starter just crap out like that randomly? I haven't driven it in a month, I've just been tracing wires, cleaning it, fixing rust spots. I mean I still turn it over and let it run for 15 minutes or so each time.

But as I'm typing this, and I think about "clean the connections" it's starting to makes sense because this thing underneath is unspeakably filthy.

Appreciate the tip and the info on the starter, I'll give it a go and report back

Subourbon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 suburban
Engine Size
6.2 V8
Sometimes it's the simplest things.... this battery killswitch, or breaker to switch batteries on and off was flipped over to off, I guess I knocked it when checking passe ger side horn.
I dont know if all models have them or what but.... flipped back to on, glow plugs, lights buzzing, and she fired right up.

That being said, I'm still gonna clean up the starter connections.
Tha k you everyone, or was electrical, but the cause of it was my giant gorilla mits touching things they shouldnt.

Mojave_Muse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
crystal
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Suburban
Engine Size
oh so happy it was something dumb before you went rippy-teary on wiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man