5 lug to 6x5.5 HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87R10caf

Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hello All, I have a 87 R10 which is 5 lug, looking to go 6 lug. Any ideas on rear axle shaft swap? Besides having them custom made. Also looking to do disc brake conversion. Any ideas or answers will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well the rear axle out of a 4x4 will be 6 lug, should be a direct swap. In your case a similar year (or essentially any) 10 bolt from a 1/2 ton 4x4 should do the trick. As far as the front, I've never had a full size truck that was 2wd, but would have to assume that it should be easy to just grab some 6 lug hubs from whatever is compatible, not sure though, pretty sure even the C/R20 would've been 8 lug. Not sure what swapping that out entails or how simple/difficult it would be, I've never personally looked closely at a 2wd square. I've seen 67-72s and 2nd gen S10s, those are about the only 2wd trucks I've ever been around. Heck an aftermarket option to swap from 5 to 6 lug might be something that's readily available but I just have no experience, never had any reason to mess with 2wd stuff. I'm sure someone will chime in soon, there are plenty of guys here that know way more than me.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Factory mid 80's K10 axle shafts will swap right in.

What is the purpose of going to 6-lug?

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
8 lug!
8 lug!
8 lug!
8 lug!
He wants more options for wheels. I didn't think 8 lugs are more common than 6? Plus, no offense to any C guys here, but can you imagine how silly 8 lug wheels would look on a hot-rodded 2wd half ton? Guy is talking disc brakes and aftermarket wheels I'll bet you anything it's lowered too, I doubt he's out there trying to look like a 3/4 ton.

Heavy duty trucks are great for getting work done and badass for that reason, but lets not start acting like 8 luggers are sharp lookin or anything... Hah, that's my biggest gripe looking for a K30 right now, I won't be able to rock Rallye wheels or hurricanes on whatever I get lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Hey guys, thanks. The purpose of going 6 lug is a larger wheel option

I guess it may depend on the type of wheel you are looking for. But if you want crazy good selection AND have the classic 5-lug look still, you could switch to the 5 on 4.75" bolt pattern. It's as simple as having a machine shop re-drill your rotors, axles and drums.