5.9l Cummins swap into a lucky Square Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
Keep patient! I did manage to put the motor in last weekend and it fits like a champ. Im impressed with tn diesels mounts except I need to figure out something for the oil return on the turbo now. I still waiting for warmth to get the gaskets on and I will post pictures sometime but the internet is so god awfull slow because of all the snow we been getting here.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
Update: I got the oil pan on, kdp fix, new rear and front crank seals, timing cover seal, new oil, fuel fitler, oil filter. Then I went to test run the engine by putting the flywheel on and crap I had the wrong size flywheel, so I have one coming in the mail then i'll for sure be able to test it out. I'm still trying to find a transmission it seems like trying to find a trans is looking for a unicorn with these dodges. After I get the drivetrain and body complete then Ill have to upgrade the suspension. So keep patient!

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Update: I got the oil pan on, kdp fix, new rear and front crank seals, timing cover seal, new oil, fuel fitler, oil filter. Then I went to test run the engine by putting the flywheel on and crap I had the wrong size flywheel, so I have one coming in the mail then i'll for sure be able to test it out. I'm still trying to find a transmission it seems like trying to find a trans is looking for a unicorn with these dodges. After I get the drivetrain and body complete then Ill have to upgrade the suspension. So keep patient!

hehe !! ill never do one of these swaps with out a donner truck to much littel nick nakky crap to rod your bank account
:grd:

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
did you guys use dodge mounts or the chevy ones with tn diesel kit? what about ac condenser you get it fit to?

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
did you guys use dodge mounts or the chevy ones with tn diesel kit? what about ac condenser you get it fit to?

if you use a factory cummins out of a truck you willl have to notch the frame .
i just used the tn diesel mount kit yes works very well . but you have to find the part number for the ac flip that he uses i used to have it but that whole set up is from a f-750 cummins that moves the ac compressor up so that you dont have to cut the frame

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
hehe !! ill never do one of these swaps with out a donner truck to much littel nick nakky crap to rod your bank account
:grd:

^^^^ For sure. I agree totally with this. ^^^^ This is one reason I have so many trucks. I'd rather buy the whole truck for $200, than a rear end for $100, then another $50 for E brake cables, and blah blah blah, not to mention all the other parts I'll sell to make my money back for FREE parts, and then profit.

Dodge truck parts still sell even after you're done with the donor.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
I got the new flywheel a couple weeks ago test ran the engine and to my surprise it ran super awesome! Fired right up after getting the fuel bled, no leaks amazingly, and dont believe it burns oil. So now the engine is just chilling out on blocks on the ground. I need to go to town and get paint one day. Im planning on a black engine with the fuel lines and valve covers being red, your thoughts? After that my body should be painted then I can put all the engine compartment stuff in and what not. BTW still no trans

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Black/red sounds good. Being a Chevy truck, I'd probably paint it Chevy Orange no matter who made the motor.

Flatblack79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dekota
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 BBC
Gm corporate blue like the what they painted engines in the late 70s early 80s

John-e Bravada

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 3+3
Engine Size
5.9L CTD

I'm wondering that too Joe, what condenser are you guys using? Not compressor but condensor. I like how the dodge bolts right to the CAC but will it work with the GM evaporator?

brewer34

Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
fuel shut off solenoid

Hay man, your conversion is looking interesting. I am putting the 2nd gen cummins in my 97 chevy 3500 and am trying to connect the fuel shut off solenoid to the wiring, didn't know if you could help me out with this. I know the solenoid has three wires 2 thick and 1 small all three are positive. If you can help me figure out what wires go where I would be very greatful.

Flatblack79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dekota
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 BBC
Hay man, your conversion is looking interesting. I am putting the 2nd gen cummins in my 97 chevy 3500 and am trying to connect the fuel shut off solenoid to the wiring, didn't know if you could help me out with this. I know the solenoid has three wires 2 thick and 1 small all three are positive. If you can help me figure out what wires go where I would be very greatful.

This site should have everything you need.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/2n...odge-ram-turbo-cummins-24-valve-engine-wiring

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
There's a sensor that goes from the block to the that device on the lower part of the ve pump that advances the timing for starts this is wired into the fuel cutoff solenoid. Use the switched hot from the distributor to use for your fuel cut off. I wrote a right up on wiring sometime ago in the conversion pages for the cummins swap.

83swb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Thought I'd bump this thread. Are you boxing your frame at all? I wouldn't think a stock 12v would cause too many problems...

1987chevybad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
The 24 valve is very reliable. Gas mileage is about the same, but power is obtainable on the fly. I don't know how much a common rail weighs but the electronics are all incompassed with the engine. The computer is right on the side of the block. The common rail is a quieter engine which I like.

You are mistaken.... The 24v the ISB Chews through injectors every 120k and injector pumps every 100K The VP44 injection pump is also very expensive. Plus the lift pumps die and kill the high pressure pump. Buy a p-pump 12v the injector pump is lubricated by oil not fuel and they practically last forever.

Injectors in the 12v last 400K miles problem being they smoke like hell by then because the holes wear out and become bigger. The ISB has a lot of unneed electrical junk.

trust me i drive a 12v ram and know people unfortunate enough to have a 24v

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507