5.9l Cummins swap into a lucky Square Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Making fun of the old Radio Flyer deserves an ass kickin !!! :rofl:

:Sumo:

Great pics, cool shop. :) I can't believe that engine stand isn't folding in half lol. :popcorn:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
:Sumo:

Great pics, cool shop. :) I can't believe that engine stand isn't folding in half lol. :popcorn:

Just don't get it stuck in any cracks in that cement floor rolling it around. There a bitch to it get out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Making fun of the old Radio Flyer deserves an ass kickin !!! :rofl:

Heck no, I like the wagon!! I'd do the same thing, but my kids might put up a fuss :rofl:

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
I still don't know about that engine stand lol, and sucks when your changing oil on a creeper and you just can get out of a damn crack in the floor

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
Its been a little while, but I finally got to work on this again this weekend. I still couldn't do all that much because it seems like theres a ton of small things you don't think about that keep holding everything up and you have to wait for parts and what not to come. Anyways I scrapped off the old oil pan gasket from the pan and block and got that ready to roll as well as the pickup to pump gasket area. But I want to wait till it gets warmer to seal everything up so it sets right. Then I worked on beefing up the frame, took some 1/4" plate and boxed up some of the frame. I didnt do as much as I first planned because first its a pain in the ass and I feel like its strong enough the way it is. I have tn diesel motor mounts in transit so maybe ill fit the engine in this weekend depending on what comes up.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Its been a little while, but I finally got to work on this again this weekend. I still couldn't do all that much because it seems like theres a ton of small things you don't think about that keep holding everything up and you have to wait for parts and what not to come. Anyways I scrapped off the old oil pan gasket from the pan and block and got that ready to roll as well as the pickup to pump gasket area. But I want to wait till it gets warmer to seal everything up so it sets right. Then I worked on beefing up the frame, took some 1/4" plate and boxed up some of the frame. I didnt do as much as I first planned because first its a pain in the ass and I feel like its strong enough the way it is. I have tn diesel motor mounts in transit so maybe ill fit the engine in this weekend depending on what comes up.

What kit did you use ? Not think it's really Nessary to box in the frame . But I kinda wish I did . But I did my hx35 swap today super easy ! Standing around waiting to see this thing in this truck !!! :)

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
What kit did you use ? Not think it's really Nessary to box in the frame . But I kinda wish I did . But I did my hx35 swap today super easy ! Standing around waiting to see this thing in this truck !!! :)

I know I can't wait either! This is the kit I will be using http://www.tndieselpower.com/site/products-page/conversion-parts/mount-member-package/ Is the kit you used to? If it is does it come with every single nut and but you need to drop the engine in? I might still box up the frame a little more, still deciding whether or not to. I read online that these sb frames aren't good at all and it will be better for the frame to just box it.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Yea it's the same kit I used . The boots that are used to hold the old subframe in will work !you have to dril a 7/16 hole under the block that you get in the kit so the the block hold on place to the fram then the other side bolts in where the engine mounts go ! I don't really believe that . The motor weighs about 300 more than a 454 so not really sure where they get that from . I'm sure the frame is strong enough but mabyhwere the engines sits on the mounts prolly for sure not strong enough that's where I reenforced mine at but I didn't really box the frame.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
This is what it looks like in the truck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 870

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Yea it's the same kit I used . The boots that are used to hold the old subframe in will work !you have to dril a 7/16 hole under the block that you get in the kit so the the block hold on place to the fram then the other side bolts in where the engine mounts go ! I don't really believe that . The motor weighs about 300 more than a 454 so not really sure where they get that from . I'm sure the frame is strong enough but mabyhwere the engines sits on the mounts prolly for sure not strong enough that's where I reenforced mine at but I didn't really box the frame.

A 454 weighs 650-700. A 6bt is 1150-1200. Kinda like having the 454 and throwing a fully dressed and full of liquid 350 on top of it.

Rollin_Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Does that mean that the 24 valve weighs about the same? I'm wanting to put a Cummins in my truck for fuel efficiency, but I'm trying to decide whether I want a 12 valve or a 24. I like the idea of having a chip to program the engine but I also really like the reliability of the 12. Does anyone know the difference in fuel mileage between the two? I'm planning on putting a 4L80E behind the cummins if I swap, and will be even if I keep the 454.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Does that mean that the 24 valve weighs about the same? I'm wanting to put a Cummins in my truck for fuel efficiency, but I'm trying to decide whether I want a 12 valve or a 24. I like the idea of having a chip to program the engine but I also really like the reliability of the 12. Does anyone know the difference in fuel mileage between the two? I'm planning on putting a 4L80E behind the cummins if I swap, and will be even if I keep the 454.

The 24 valve is very reliable. Gas mileage is about the same, but power is obtainable on the fly. I don't know how much a common rail weighs but the electronics are all incompassed with the engine. The computer is right on the side of the block. The common rail is a quieter engine which I like.

Rollin_Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
That might be a way to go then with the common rail. I know that you have to add an extra fuel pump and an external oil filter to the engine so that it doesn't crap out on you. My origional idea was have a Cummins common rail engine, one of the 600 series, and attach it to an Allison transmission. I wanted something that would be reliable and efficient and something that I could depend on when I start doing overlanding trips.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
That might be a way to go then with the common rail. I know that you have to add an extra fuel pump and an external oil filter to the engine so that it doesn't crap out on you. My origional idea was have a Cummins common rail engine, one of the 600 series, and attach it to an Allison transmission. I wanted something that would be reliable and efficient and something that I could depend on when I start doing overlanding trips.

I have an 03 dodge. It's relatively low mileage. I'm planning to keep it for a future swap. Post lots of pics I'd like to watch. Also make sure you get the HO. I've never heard it called the 600 series if that what you mean 06 and up you can use efi live. Smarty is a popular one too. I have a bully dog pmt. There is no economy tune which I don't like, but I own it so I'm keeping it. A built 47re is much cheaper and can be built to take a beating. I have a full billet unit and love it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53