5.9l Cummins swap into a lucky Square Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I was planning on running a Dodge or GM NV4500 from the start but I was just trying to see if I could save some money.

I wouldn't bother trying to save the money. Because it'll turn into money wasted. Once you get it done, you'll have regrets you didn't do it in the first place and end up spending the cash anyway. I think that would be the hot ticket though. 6BT and NV4500 and you'd quite possibly have the most durable Engine/Trans Combo possible in a Light Duty truck. Add a 14B Full Float axle with a good driveshaft and call it a bullet proof powertrain.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
I love that second link, one night Im going to sit down and figure out which way is the cheaper and better way off to go.

Flatblack79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dekota
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 BBC
Watching this thread closely. Im going to do this swap one day.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Watching this thread closely. Im going to do this swap one day.

You're not alone. There is many of us who want to do it. Some of us just don't quite have the balls yet, and some of us are just fuggin broke.

Flatblack79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dekota
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
454 BBC
You're not alone. There is many of us who want to do it. Some of us just don't quite have the balls yet, and some of us are just fuggin broke.

I got the balls, im just lackin the shop, lift, overhead hoist, oh and a 3 ft high stack of $100 bills.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I got the balls, im just lackin the shop, lift, overhead hoist, oh and a 3 ft high stack of $100 bills.

If I had the cash, I have a feeling I'd find a way to make it happen.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
If I had the cash, I have a feeling I'd find a way to make it happen.

All I had was a 2 car garage and a harbor freight cherry picker. Besides necessary wrenches and what not. It's not a hard swap.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Unfortunately cash is king.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
Hahaha well I did my whole swap for a 2500 bucks . The engine mounts from tn diesel on Craig's list. The engine and tranny was bought with a full truck with a bad injection pump for 600 . The w250 bossy and fram was traded for my crew cab Dually !! And all you need in a engine hoist and hand tools ! Not crazy lifts or anything like that !i didn't my whole swap in my drive way ! With friends to help me put it in and other the other work is compleated with hand tool this swap is not difficult at all ! If you have any mechanical ability ! The only time I have spent with these kids trucks is the last couple months I have learned alot but I just jumped in an starting doing it . Honestly the only tranny you should be even interested in is the nv 4500 and talking about the getrag if you have one . Any other tranny is adapter plate money different fly wheel and clutch and different clutch master cyclender and the whole nine way to much work . And money ! This swap is fairly cheap just gotta get a whole truck ! For under a thousned rest is easy and alot of parts are reusable and you can sell the gasser for more cash !! Just takes time just a little time to find what you need and best for you

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Hahaha well I did my whole swap for a 2500 bucks . The engine mounts from tn diesel on Craig's list. The engine and tranny was bought with a full truck with a bad injection pump for 600 . The w250 bossy and fram was traded for my crew cab Dually !! And all you need in a engine hoist and hand tools ! Not crazy lifts or anything like that !i didn't my whole swap in my drive way ! With friends to help me put it in and other the other work is compleated with hand tool this swap is not difficult at all ! If you have any mechanical ability ! The only time I have spent with these kids trucks is the last couple months I have learned alot but I just jumped in an starting doing it . Honestly the only tranny you should be even interested in is the nv 4500 and talking about the getrag if you have one . Any other tranny is adapter plate money different fly wheel and clutch and different clutch master cyclender and the whole nine way to much work . And money ! This swap is fairly cheap just gotta get a whole truck ! For under a thousned rest is easy and alot of parts are reusable and you can sell the gasser for more cash !! Just takes time just a little time to find what you need and best for you

A stock p pumped 24 valve is 450 ft lbs. the nv4500 is actually rated a little less then that. I think a 12 valve is around 400. Just something to keep in mind when you start playing with fueling and turbo changes. The clutches in the new venture have been know to pop like a fuse as well with anything over stock.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
I still did not get my gaskets in the mail yet so I just cleaned up the engine a little. The gaskets should come this week.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year