5/8” ID oil rated hose recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Hello,

Not just 5/8”, but pretty much anything over half inch. Gates catalog gets slim for the larder IDs. Need it for power steering return, hydroboost return, etc.

Inner net searches keep pointing me to chinesium on amazon. I’m not as concerned with price as I am quality. Just want to throw a constant tension clamp on it and forget about it for many miles.

Any high quality hose manufacturer suggestions for a roll of plain end, cut to fit hose at 5/8” ID?

Thanks!

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Just use a gates hydraulic hose. Might be expensive but they have most all sizes. Any autoparts store that makes hydraulic lines have it. Should last a lifetime for what you need it for.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Why so big on the diameter? You working on farm equipment? Local parts store has Gates. Personally, I have used Russell hose and fittings for years and it is da bomb!

Attachments

• Hose.JPG
    Hose.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 20

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Just use a gates hydraulic hose. Might be expensive but they have most all sizes. Any autoparts store that makes hydraulic lines have it. Should last a lifetime for what you need it for.
Is the gates hydraulic hose pliable enough to take a clamp and seal to a smooth fitting with a simple bubble flare? Most of the hydraulic hose I’ve dealt with is very stiff on the outer material and typically gets hydraulically crimped to a JIC fitting or similar… I dont think the stuff I’m referring to would work with a hose clamp.

Why so big on the diameter? You working on farm equipment? Local parts store has Gates. Personally, I have used Russell hose and fittings for years and it is da bomb!
It’s the factory size for the hoses leading to the fluid cooler on the ps pump / hb circuit on the truck I’m working on…but yeah a Cummins is basically farm equipment. I’d use factory lines, but I upgraded the entire hydraulic system, so there’s some custom hosiery going on.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Is the gates hydraulic hose pliable enough to take a clamp and seal to a smooth fitting with a simple bubble flare? Most of the hydraulic hose I’ve dealt with is very stiff on the outer material and typically gets hydraulically crimped to a JIC fitting or similar… I dont think the stuff I’m referring to would work with a hose clamp.

Thats a good point, Hydraulic hose is a bit stiff but I've used it for return lines and transmissions with hose clamps before, I always flared the end if i could, Just make the cuts clean or have them cut it. There's metal in it is why it's so stiff. I used a hack saw to cut mine. I remember it didn't shrink to tighten like normal hose. I think I used 2 good clamps together staggered.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

It’s the factory size for the hoses leading to the fluid cooler on the ps pump / hb circuit on the truck I’m working on…but yeah a Cummins is basically farm equipment. I’d use factory lines, but I upgraded the entire hydraulic system, so there’s some custom hosiery going on.

A lot of the stuff designed for AN type fittings would work well. I recently made a set of trans oil cooler hoses using Russell brand hose, it was soft and pliable, with a black nylon braided outer wrap.

Edit
It was 1/2 or 5/8, can't remember. But larger sizes were available too.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Also, pay attention to the rated operating temp. Power steering, especially in a hydroboost system can get VERY hot. Similar to engine oil cooling systems, I prefer the higher rated aeroquip or similar hoses that are designed for working temps up to 300 deg. F. Some of the cheaper summit and other knockoff brands are only rated for 175 deg or so.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Awesome suggestions, thanks guys!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Here's what I used. I was very pleased with it. Very flexible too.

I ordered 20’ of it. The stuff Eric mentioned looked really nice too. I called their customer service with some questions about the product. The guy on the other end of the phone seemed like he wanted to take a nap and was not very helpful.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Ahhh. Now I have a clear picture. lol
Everything is finished and operable, but the hose I have seems to not fit the metal tube properly and I’m using a regular o hose clamp. It has a slight weep after a cold-hot-cold cycle. I used what I had on hand to get it together for a deadline. Want to do it right the second go ‘round.

Did a 1500 (ish? Can’t recall exactly) mile round trip to pick this shell up for an upcoming camper build. Had a weep, but no discernible fluid level drop. Just don’t want something to happen out in BFE.
You must be registered for see images attach

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Was looking for the stuff I used,but ran across this. I don't know why it wouldn't work,and way cheaper than what I used.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-12-07_175240.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-12-07_175240.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 21

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Parker hydraulic hose. Crimp fittings are best. Tools required or all the Parker dealers will assemble the hose and fittings for you.

Parker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia