5.7 vortec swap need help/advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
That is a lot of great info definitely answered all my questions by far thank you so much. As far as the wiring I would like to see the spread sheet i like working with wires too. And volts. I am up for the challenge can't wait to get on this build. I'll be on the look out for the trans parts as well. If I find one that is out of a 96-97 and is 2wd can I just take it and run it. Maybe a fresh rebuild too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will take me a little time to get the spreadsheet done but I will get started on it. If there is anyway you can get me a VIN from the donor engine it would help a lot.

1995 GM started using a PWM (pulse width modulation) in the 4L60E,
1996 GM changed the programming of the PWM and a few other details of the 4L60E. So 1995 is a year of its own and will NOT interchange with any other year. 1996+ are all programmed the same and will interchange, There are a few differences, mainly the tail housing's. IIRC I think they changed to a 3 piece case in late 98, with this change the tail housing has now became a 6 bolt design instead of the earlier 4 bolt design.
So as long as the transmission you find is at least a 1996, and has the same number of bolts in the tail housing as the 1 you have now it will work just fine.
If by chance you have a 4 bolt currently, and you find a 6 bolt the only problems you will have is bolting it to the block, 6 bolt housings require a different engine oil pan.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
programming can take care of the pwm and allow to use earlier 4l60e.

EDIT:
expanding a little. The PWM just needs to be set to 100% duty cycle in the programming and it will work fine for the older 4l60e

Last edited:

1sik78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 pickup
Engine Size
250 inline 6
It will take me a little time to get the spreadsheet done but I will get started on it. If there is anyway you can get me a VIN from the donor engine it would help a lot.

1995 GM started using a PWM (pulse width modulation) in the 4L60E,
1996 GM changed the programming of the PWM and a few other details of the 4L60E. So 1995 is a year of its own and will NOT interchange with any other year. 1996+ are all programmed the same and will interchange, There are a few differences, mainly the tail housing's. IIRC I think they changed to a 3 piece case in late 98, with this change the tail housing has now became a 6 bolt design instead of the earlier 4 bolt design.
So as long as the transmission you find is at least a 1996, and has the same number of bolts in the tail housing as the 1 you have now it will work just fine.
If by chance you have a 4 bolt currently, and you find a 6 bolt the only problems you will have is bolting it to the block, 6 bolt housings require a different engine oil pan.

By tomorrow night I will have that vin for you. What is "IIRC" never seen this before

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
By tomorrow night I will have that vin for you. What is "IIRC" never seen this before

IIRC=If I remember correctly

following along because Im considering doing a vortec swap into my 85 GMC c1500. Unfortunately here in California I need the smog crap intact for a legal swap.

1sik78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 pickup
Engine Size
250 inline 6
IIRC=If I remember correctly

following along because Im considering doing a vortec swap into my 85 GMC c1500. Unfortunately here in California I need the smog crap intact for a legal swap.

Thanks for the clarification. Cali is big on that smog stuff so you would have to keep all the emission stuff or else they won't pass it right?

1sik78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 pickup
Engine Size
250 inline 6
You must be registered for see images attach
here is the truck so far on the way to pick up the engine been delayed a little. And it has 22" irocs up front and 15" rear I just needed to see the clearance up front first lol

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks for the clarification. Cali is big on that smog stuff so you would have to keep all the emission stuff or else they won't pass it right?

Yeah to be legal I would have to use any emissions from that vehicle. So if I pull a engine from a 1997 chevy truck then I need everything that 1997 chevy truck has. It's not as complicated as it counts and compared to what my smogged out 305 has anything 1987-up would be a lot easier.

I was actually up your way today. Had to pick up a empty trailer from Sam's Club.

1sik78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 pickup
Engine Size
250 inline 6
Yeah to be legal I would have to use any emissions from that vehicle. So if I pull a engine from a 1997 chevy truck then I need everything that 1997 chevy truck has. It's not as complicated as it counts and compared to what my smogged out 305 has anything 1987-up would be a lot easier.

I was actually up your way today. Had to pick up a empty trailer from Sam's Club.

Nice where you headed to. If your going over the pass towards sac just Moises some big snow fall that should be coming later tomorrow

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Nice where you headed to. If your going over the pass towards sac just Moises some big snow fall that should be coming later tomorrow

I'm already back in Sacramento. Had to take the trailer to the DC in Woodland, ca. We don't service the Reno store anymore so I just ran up to get our last empty. Use to deliver a lot up there when I did flatbed. These days I stick mostly in the Sacramento area.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Need to know what your plans are for a few things before I can finish the spreadsheets.

Air Conditioning?

Engine data sensors Example: Temperature gauge, Oil pressure gauge. Are you going to be using the 78 wiring for these or the newer 97.

Cruise Control? If you plan on using Cruise Control I strongly suggest updating to the newer Electronic cruise versus the old Vacuum style. Much more accurate and reliable.

1sik78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 pickup
Engine Size
250 inline 6
Need to know what your plans are for a few things before I can finish the spreadsheets.

Air Conditioning?

Engine data sensors Example: Temperature gauge, Oil pressure gauge. Are you going to be using the 78 wiring for these or the newer 97.

Cruise Control? If you plan on using Cruise Control I strongly suggest updating to the newer Electronic cruise versus the old Vacuum style. Much more accurate and reliable.

So no A/C and I'm trying to use the wiring of the 78 to make engine data sensors work. As long as the stock gauges work I can go either way. Cruise control my current set up does not have it if it's possible electronic but cruise control not a biggie with me. I got some pics just picked up the engine I can't find the vin but hope these pics have the vin in them

1sik78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 pickup
Engine Size
250 inline 6
You must be registered for see images attach