4x4 indacator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
4x4 indcator ! The Dually didn't have one from the factory ? Why ? So I was wondering if any ones ever swapped one into one of these trucks ? My trucks a cummins repower so I'm using the get rag np205 xfer case I have the old 92 dodge indacator light . Was thinking running 12v to that switch then run out of the switch to light panel then ground ? Couldn't be that simple .

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The book shows "IGN 1 FUSED 20 AMP" from the fuse box running to the switch on the transfer case and the ground running back into the cab to the bus bar ground.

Don't forget about the lamp in the shifter housing. I am showing both those lamp share the same ground to the bus bar. Here are a few ideas: :popcorn:

You must be registered for see images

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Under the dash above the parking brake pedal bolted to the side of the cab under there. Got a bunch of ground wires connecting to it with spade connectors.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
89S is correct so I am not gonna dispute the information he has provided. But I am going to suggest an alternative route.

IMO It is best to avoid running Ignition Hot or Constatant Power wires thru the firewall, or any other part of the truck where shorts can happen. yes I know in theory your safe aslong as you run the wires through a ground. But lets face it this isn't a "perfect world".

My advice to you would be to run a FUSED Ignition Hot wire to the Bulb itself. Then you connect a ground wire from the bulb thru the firewall, connect it to the switch, then another wire from the switch, to either a chasis ground or back thru the firewall to the grounding bus bar.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I don't think that the standard NP205 range selector has any provision for backlighting - it's usually just a plain rubber boot.

And - here is the way the 4H/L indication on the dash is wired from the factory:

You must be registered for see images attach

Run a fused lead straight to one side of the lamp. Attach another (long) lead to the other side. Run it behind the dash, down through the hole in the hump and to one terminal on the switch. Along side it, run a lead that goes to other side of the switch . Extend the in-cab end of that lead over to the grounding block.

It might even get easier. Shine a flashlight from behind the instrument panel and look at the far left display section - under the high beam bay - 4WD is probably already stenciled. The displays go 4WD, Choke, Parking brake, Seat belt from left to right.

That lamp is stand-alone (not part of the instrument wiring harness) so you can just stuff a bulb/socket in that hole and it will look like factory from the drivers seat.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My 4x4 Indicator is the torque steer I feel in the steering wheel, and look down at the Tcase shifter and when it's not full forward, I know it's in 4x4. :rofl:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You got teenagers? I do, and I swear they're braindead, they don't feel anything sometimes. If I had a nickel for everytime I find the trucks in 4WD on dry pavement...

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You got teenagers? I do, and I swear they're braindead, they don't feel anything sometimes. If I had a nickel for everytime I find the trucks in 4WD on dry pavement...

But Dad !!!! It does`nt burnout when We be dragracing.:gr_grin:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good Point Jerry. If I found that more than once, the kid would be getting to his next few destinations via Nike.

I do intend to get mine working again on my NP208. I've already done it at the cluster end, now need to get under the truck and plug it in to the Tcase.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That is one feature about the 208 that I really miss - the fact that it had a range position indicator. That it was backlit was an added bonus. With the "superior" NP205 design, you sometimes can't be sure where you are until the truck slicks out.

In the middle of the night in a sucky situation tempers can flare - esp if after being told there is an issue with the manual hubs and fiddling with them for 1/2 hour in blizzard conditions, you push the young driver over and say "let me try".

The first thing you do is instinctively reach down to stroke the T/C selector to check proper engagement - but wait! After all the struggles with the hubs, you find out that the T/C was not ever even in 4WD!

Both the dash indicator and the shift selecter lamp always worked after that.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
I stuck the flash light back there today and could see the 4x4 ? So I do that the dodge one ? Thinking about putting it some where nice . To make it look factory . I have the hole that I cover with Crome diond plate maby I could it it there and make it look nice . Ill keep y'all posted for sure on what I do ! But the truck drives great ! Just got some
Brakes issues to figure out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507