4X2 Hub Conversion questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Right, but 8 lug stuff is the same too right? So you can take 6 lug off D44 and put on a 6 lug 10 bolt, and vice versa, and you can also do 8 lug D44 to 10 bolt 8 lug and vice versa right?
So what all has to be changed if I have a 6 bolt hub, then I put a 14b FF in the rear and want to convert the front to 8 lug? :shrug: More than just the rotor I do beleive.
Not that it matters to me much, my 6 lug is 3.08 and I want a 4.10 8 lug and most 8 lugs are 4.10 so I think that is my best way out. Find an 8 lug 10b or D44. And I'll find a spare too. After seeing prices for D60, and D60 parts, I think I can break and buy several 10b and D44's and still be ahead of the game, along with more ground clearance.

All you would need is rotors/hubs, and the caliper mounting brackets... as long as you stick with the internal style locking hubs (unlike what OLP has).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
All you would need is rotors/hubs, and the caliper mounting brackets... as long as you stick with the internal style locking hubs (unlike what OLP has).

That is good to know stuff. Thanks !!! So if I ever find a 14b Full Float with 3.73, I can do this swap on the K1500. But, there is no such gear ratio for 3.08 in the 14b FF. That would be a waste anyway. I'm fine with 3.73's in the K1500, and the the K10 has 3.08s and why I am swapping that truck with the 14b FF and 8 lugs. Klling 2 birds with 1 stone, upgrading the rear axle and getting a more 4x4 friendly gear ratio.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That is good to know stuff. Thanks !!! So if I ever find a 14b Full Float with 3.73, I can do this swap on the K1500. But, there is no such gear ratio for 3.08 in the 14b FF. That would be a waste anyway. I'm fine with 3.73's in the K1500, and the the K10 has 3.08s and why I am swapping that truck with the 14b FF and 8 lugs. Klling 2 birds with 1 stone, upgrading the rear axle and getting a more 4x4 friendly gear ratio.

You're the engine builder tranny guy, why not swap gears rather than looking for an axle with the correct ratio? Obviously though, it's a no-brainer if you come across a complete 8-lug axle with the right gears and the right price.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're the engine builder tranny guy, why not swap gears rather than looking for an axle with the correct ratio? Obviously though, it's a no-brainer if you come across a complete 8-lug axle with the right gears and the right price.

That's right. I can find a used 8 lugger for about $100 to $150. I'd spend $300-$400 on gears alone, and still need to buy rotors, blah blah blah, I'd rather buy the axle I want, then rebuild it with new bearings, seals etc etc.

I really don't much care of its 10b or D44. I hear one is stronger in one area, the other stronger is another so they are just about lateral as far as strength. I know the 10bolts are much cheaper usually cuz noone wants one thinking the D44 is an upgrade. If I can buy 8 10 bolts to 1 Dana 60 then I'll take my chances, and If I can buy 2 10 bolts to 1 D44, then I'll take my chances again.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I guess if you never offroad and run only stock size tires/lift that analogy works. But in one year I spend more for u-joints, axle joints axle shaft broke, balljoints etc than it was worth. If that was just one year I knew something drastic needed to happen. Keep your eyes peeled while shopping for the 10-bolt of your dreams. You just might find the D60 of your wettest dreams.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No doubt, I know the D60 is the way to go, and I do look for a steal on one all the time. You can bet if I find one cheap or to good to pass up, I'll have it and I'll damn sure use it. I'd still like to find a steal on a low mileage CUCV too. I'd rather spend my money on a CUCV for $3000-$4000 than $1500 for converting to a D60 front axle.
And you're right, as far as I'm concerned my wheeling isn't near aggressive enough to justify $1500 for a D60. Your wheeling likely is.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Well today was an insightful day. Fcuking some people should not be allowed to even have a pair of pliars.

I had the BOM numbers ran on the Dana 44 that is in the truck, the axle originally came from a 76 3/4 ton with 4.56 gears in it. grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Now heres the thing. Obviously my truck is suppose to have a Dana 60 in it.

When I bought the truck it had a NP203 TH350 installed, no engine so test driving was impossable. But the truck ORIGINALLY was a 4 spd truck, so my theory is someone wanted the dana 60 bought the truck for the axle, then installed a Dana 44 in place of the 60, Problem was with it being a FULLTIME transfercase they were using they needed to have a Dana 44 with 4.10,s. Instead of looking for 1 they just do a fast gear change with out actually setting the gears up correctly. I say this because My truck has a whine and a howl in it when going down the road.

Now I confirmed that my axle needs the Warn 9072 Lockout hubs after running the BOM numbers. Which the Price for them is $236.97, To make it dorrect I will also need to do a gear change or atleast reset the gears CORRECTLY. Instead of spending the money to do either of them, I found an 85 chevy K20 Parts truck for 500 bucks

Heres the good part the truck has good fenders, Hood, Grill, Bed is supposed to be straight. Eninge is a crate engine with I was told 10,000 miles on it. Transmission is a SM465 which is good, Transfercase I am not sure which it will have, but it is suppose to be good also. The truck is an A/C Truck so I can get all my A/C parts to put air in my truck, I can even just just the 2 firewalls out around the Boxes and reweld them back in but thats a hole nother story for later date. There should be enough parts to sell to get my 500 bucks back plus fix abunch of stuff that needs attention on my truck. Shouldnt there? Anybody wanna buy a crate motor?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, I still say for $500 jump all the fugg over that deal. Remember I paid $500 for my 85K1500 needing a trans build with a newer 10K mile crate 350, with Eddy ESP intake, headers and Eddy carb. Thing runs fuggin great. You have lots of good parts there that you actually NEED and should be able to get your $500 back fora 10K mile $1400 crate motor.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
BTW Pops, if you would, whatever you decided to do here, Take some pics of what you have now, and do us a write up if you would. I'll be in the same boat soon. When I get that 14b FF 4.10 axle in the K10 frame, I have a feeling I'll have better luck finding a 3/4 ton D44 with 4.10's already set up and likley to be a 76 or earlier truck that had a NP203 will full timers on it and it'll need converted too. Or, I guess I could have as much of a chance to find a 10bolt from a 3/4 ton with 4.10's too. Being I need to convert to 8 lug, and 4.10's I think it'll be easier to find a 3/4 ton front axle.
Sorry Hotrod I didnt take any pictures of the swap, Honestly its pretty straight forward. Hardest thing about it is removing and reinstalling 16 wheel studs.
It's external because they are the '73-'77 K20 hubs. The spindle nut conversion only applies if you are replacing the factory automatic locking hubs (like with the 208/241).

I have the stainless MM hubs on my K30 and they are great. They work nicer than the Warns, IMHO.

As for swapping the hubs, it shouldn't be much trouble. You just need the 8-lug stuff from a later 10 bolt, the hubs, bearings, and the spindles. Your stock knuckles can remain, as well as the caliper brackets, calipers, and I think the rotors too.

As luck would have it the Mile Marker Hubs are what was in the 85 parts truck so thats what I have now the stainless ones, They are trully simple operation.

Just so we can all be 100% clear on what all needs to be changed to convert from the fulltime set up to Part time for any future inquiries.

1/2 ton FULLTIME already have internal drive blocks that lock the hub to the axle shaft, to convert them its as simple as removing the drive blocks and installing the Lockout hubs.

3/4 ton FULLTIME have an EXTERNAL Drive Flanges, to change this to a Part time setup, you will need a set of hubs and bearings from a gm 10 bolt. The axle shafts, Spindles, Knuckles, Caliper bracket, Calipers, and Rotors will ALL interchange.

1. Remove the Axle cover, Use a hammer and cold chisel to seperate it from
the Drive Flange.
2. Remove the snap ring from the stub axle shaft.
3. Remove the 6 Bolts holding the Drive flange to the hub (5/8" Socket)
4. Remove the Drive flange, A hammer and cold chisel may be needed to
seperate the two.
5. Remove the Jam nut from the spindle, 4x4 wheel bearing socket is needed.
6. Remove the Internal nut lock plate, a small hooked pick works great.
7. Remove the Inner wheel bearing nut from the spindle.
8. Remove the Hub and rotor assembly. TIP if you want to remove the internal
Wheel bearing to inspect, repack, or replace it. reinstall the hub assembly
with out the OUTER wheel bearing, then start the wheel bearing nut back
on to the spindle, then pull out and down on the hub assembly with FORCE
after a few tries the hub assembly will slide off leaving the inner bearing and
grease seal on the spindle, remove the nut and the bearing and seal can be
removed from the spindle.

To install:

1. install new Bearings and seals in the Hubs. Slide the hub over the spindle,
2. Install the Outer Bearing, then install the INNER wheel bearing NUT with the
*** facing OUT.
3. Preload the bearings, then install the nut locking plate.
4. Install the Jam nut TIGHT.
5. Install the Lock out assembly, and sping if using WARN hubs.
6. Install the outer snapring to hold the lock out inside the hub.
7. Install the inner snapring over the axle shaft to hold the axle in the lock out.
8. Install the last part of the lock outs and secure them with the 6 allen head
cap screws, careful not to cross thread them.

i did have to swap the rotors ONLY because the rotors that were already on the hubs I was installing where shot, nothing like having to pull 16 new lug studs into the hub and rotors.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not all 3/4 ton fulltime trucks are external hubs, '78-'79 are internal like the newer stuff.

So you went from external to internal and the spindles were able to be reused? I thought that's how it worked, but couldn't remember for sure.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Not all 3/4 ton fulltime trucks are external hubs, '78-'79 are internal like the newer stuff.

So you went from external to internal and the spindles were able to be reused? I thought that's how it worked, but couldn't remember for sure.

yea thats right I forgot.
Yes I went from External to internal and I didn't have to change the spindles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike