454 EGR malfunction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Special Greg

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500 Crew Cab
Engine Size
I have an 89 V3500 with a fresh TBI 454 in it. I purchased the truck back in march and since I've had it the truck surges... one second it feels like its struggling and the next its putting me in the seat. I disconnected the vacuum from the EGR valve and the truck ran amazing, but thew an EGR code.

I checked the valve and it seemed to be OK, and I recently replaced the EGR controller with a BWD unit from orielly after breaking the original replacing the intake manifold on it. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Is it possible to get rid of the EGR valve all together without having a Check Engine light? any insight would be great!

Chevyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Clayton
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 Litre
I have an 89 V3500 with a fresh TBI 454 in it. I purchased the truck back in march and since I've had it the truck surges... one second it feels like its struggling and the next its putting me in the seat. I disconnected the vacuum from the EGR valve and the truck ran amazing, but thew an EGR code.

I checked the valve and it seemed to be OK, and I recently replaced the EGR controller with a BWD unit from orielly after breaking the original replacing the intake manifold on it. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Is it possible to get rid of the EGR valve all together without having a Check Engine light? any insight would be great!

Remove the EGR valve and clean it with carb cleaner. Also clean the manifold mounting area, might have to use a brush. These are famous for getting all carbonned up and causing problems like you're having. They're not cheap either. It might be defective but I'ed still try to clean it first.

Clayton

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04