454/400 out 6.5TD/NV4500 in (and other ?'s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

assquatch20

Reaction score
First Name
B.E.
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
Hey folks, I've got an 89 2WD crew cab dually that I'm planning to swap with a 6.5 stock turbo with a DB2 mechanical pump. I know I've got to get a different manifold or do something about clearing my evaporator box, but I'm more concerned with some other details right now.

First off, I'd like to swap related accessories (brackets, pumps, etc.) and keep it relatively stock, so I'm gonna try to find a 6.2 manual truck for parts. I'll need the hump, and maybe I'll get the stuff for a 4x4 swap, but I'll definitely need a taller floor hump either way, and the master cylinder and pedal from a hydraulic SM465. Curious if the CC floors need a different hump or anything.

I'm curious about AC/alternator brackets and such. What 454 accessories can I reuse on the 6.5? I'm also curious about the diesel cruise control. Mine doesn't seem to work right now, but I believe it's electronic, given the year and RPO code. My speedo seems to be cable operated, and I'll swap NV4500 parts around to keep it that way, but am I looking for electronic or vacuum cruise control stuff in this case? I'd imagine vacuum, but if it's easier to use a VSS and the TBI cruise, I may give that a shot.

Okay, before I ramble forever:

Cruise control how?
Which accessory brackets?
Does the 3500 have room for the downpipe and such to fit inboard?
Is the 454 core support and radiator adequate size?
Does the single cab hump work fine in a crew?
Will a 4x4 hump work for a 2wd okay?
Can I reuse my cradle if I stay 2wd?

Any advice is appreciated! Moderators, feel free to move this as you see fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod