4 speed to auto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay84

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Currently doing a frame of rebuild of my truck it's a 84 k10 just wondering if anybody has done this swap and what I would need, a list?? Would be awesome! Also what would be the best tranny? The tranny is going to be built and not daily driven thinking the 700r4 because of od

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Currently doing a frame of rebuild of my truck it's a 84 k10 just wondering if anybody has done this swap and what I would need, a list?? Would be awesome! Also what would be the best tranny? The tranny is going to be built and not daily driven thinking the 700r4 because of od

Manual to automatic is Not hard at all. As far as a list that would be kind of generic with out knowing for sure which automatic you were to run. Speaking of which we also need to know a little more about this truck before we can really reccomend the Best suited Transmission.
What engine are you going with?
What kind of Mods are you doing to the engine?
What size of tires are you planning to run?
What gear ratio are you looking for?

Assuming the following:
Mildly built 350 engine (vortec heads, 2-3 stage cam)
33" 12.50 R 15 Tires

I personally would recomend a 700R4 IF it is Built CORRECTLY. Assuming your gonna be running 33" tires I would Recomend Atleast 4.10 Gears.

To convert to automatic the RIGHT way you will need the following:
1. Ofcourse The Transmission
2. The Correct Transfercase AND adapter
3. Front and Rear Driveshafts
4. Correct Crossmember for the 700R4
5. Ball socket for the shifter (ataches to the DS Frame rail)
6. Automatic shifter Linkage
7. 84-87 steering columb with automatic shifter
8. Brake pedal assembly
9. Brake switch (for converter lock up)
10. Transmission cooler Lines, AND an Aux External oil cooler
11. Flexplate

Only other thing is the P/N/R switch. Manuals have a Clutch safety switch located under the dash, The reverse switch for the reverse lights is located on the Transmission on a manual. So you would need to re route those wires to the columb for the P/N/R switch.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, much eaiser to go manual to auto, than auto to manual. Somebish, you have to be all the way in Maine too. I was gonna say, I'd just swap you all your manual stuff for all auto stuff including steering columns and since a frame off, may as well just switch trucks. I'm doing an 85 K10 frame off. But then again, how much would cost to ship a column, pedals, brackets and linkage? :shrug: Our steering wheels should be the same, so we don't need to ship those. Might be worth a thought anyway.

Jay84

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Truck will have a mildy built 350 and 33-35 inch tires, could I keep my coulomn if it had one of thoose ratchet shifters? And if so do you think it would fit up thought the same hole as the 4speed shifter?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It could fit, but I wouldn't. I've used those shifters. You going to want it closer to you so to the left and back toward the seat some. Just get a piece of tin and rivet it, or screw it over the 4 speed hole.

recian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 cheyenne
Engine Size
I know this is an older thread but if someone wanted to go auto to manual how much harder would it be?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not all that hard. Swap your brake pedal for clutch and brake pedals, add your clutch linkage or hydraulics, swap the trans and bell housing and that's about it really. Anyone with reasonable skills of working on vehicle should be able to do it.

What you're swapping from and to will decide what driveshafts mods are needed if any.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Not all that hard. Swap your brake pedal for clutch and brake pedals, add your clutch linkage or hydraulics, swap the trans and bell housing and that's about it really. Anyone with reasonable skills of working on vehicle should be able to do it.

What you're swapping from and to will decide what driveshafts mods are needed if any.

Those pedals are a bitch to pull out, I can't imagine installing them.

Posted From Hell

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Those pedals are a bitch to pull out, I can't imagine installing them.

Posted From Hell

It can't be that hard Dawg. Retro says those go for a pretty penny on Flea Bay. If you want to sell those you pulled go for it.

I"m about to hang it up on my project anyway. I've had it with being fuggin broke and can't do ****.

WVscottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
350 bored .040 over
Ok gonna add to the post. Pros and cons each. I have a sm465 to install and a th350 just rebuilt. I have everything but the clutch throw out bearing and the input shaft for my np205.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok gonna add to the post. Pros and cons each. I have a sm465 to install and a th350 just rebuilt. I have everything but the clutch throw out bearing and the input shaft for my np205.

Are you asking for Pro and Cons of each way??? And what's in the truck now as far as driveshafs and crossmembers. This all matters when it comes to calculation of the expense of a swap.

And first off, need to know the main purpose of the truck. Going to be a trail truck, a mud truck, a rock crawler, combo, daily drive, weekend toy, trailerd to the fun spot or driven etc. Very important to know. Example, for a Rock Crawler, or any combo intended for Rock Crawling, I'd say Automatic trans all the way, all day and all night. In the right situation on the right rocks, the slighest of a roll back and you be over a cliff and dead.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It can't be that hard Dawg. Retro says those go for a pretty penny on Flea Bay. If you want to sell those you pulled go for it.

I"m about to hang it up on my project anyway. I've had it with being fuggin broke and can't do ****.

I'm not selling them you *******. They are for you!!! :flipthebird: :console: And the center caps off the '89 and a brand new camo pistol holder. :)

Posted from hell

WVscottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale K10
Engine Size
350 bored .040 over
It's my hunting and go to town. It's a truck and will be used as a truck with little play mild built 350 .040 over I have already converted from a k10 to a k20 and 4 inch lift and 35's. I traded some brake parts for the transmission and everything for the switch. Just wondering what some liked about the 4 speed vs the th350. Gear ratios and such. Just looking for opinions.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm not selling them you *******. They are for you!!! :flipthebird: :console: And the center caps off the '89 and a brand new camo pistol holder. :)

Posted from hell

Cool !!! :waytogo: Just sayin', if you need some cash, go for it and sell them. Who the hell knows when I'll get to work on my ****. I'm doing good to keep it running let alone make the swaps I want to do. You'd think with the tornado this house would sell. It's damn sure not priced to high. Lots of houses selling for even more. I"ve been checking both SOLDs and For Sale. Bad part is, lots of brand new homes for sale in Moore and tons of new additions going in all over the damn place. For $10K more they get a brand new house. Of course it's smaller and the yard is tiny, but nonetheless still a brand new house. Alot of people like that small yard ****. Cuz they're to damn lazy to mow and take care of it.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It's my hunting and go to town. It's a truck and will be used as a truck with little play mild built 350 .040 over I have already converted from a k10 to a k20 and 4 inch lift and 35's. I traded some brake parts for the transmission and everything for the switch. Just wondering what some liked about the 4 speed vs the th350. Gear ratios and such. Just looking for opinions.

I vote for automatic.
I`ve drove enough trucks and I`m tired of shifting gears.
I`m sort of lazy that a way. :happy175:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm