350 tbi power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmonsterchevy

Reaction score
First Name
zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
stepside short box c10
Engine Size
how easy is it to build power with a tbi 350 i got 4 layin around all run but i wanna run fuel injection on one of my 82s and i kno they will drop in there so im not worried bout that i just wanna get it around 450hp or so im just wondering what all im gona do to get there or close

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I don't think those numbers are attainable with the stock intake and throttle body, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they flow any better than 450-500 CFM. Chevy Vortec heads, with the last 3 digits of the casting numbers either 062 or 906 would be an easy way to bolt on 50-70 HP with little fuss, but without a better flowing throttle body I don't think it would help much.

scmonsterchevy

Reaction score
First Name
zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
stepside short box c10
Engine Size
i was thinkin im gonna need to get an intake and im think holley makes improved tb but is 450 too much to ask outta a tbi 350

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah pretty much, that's 383 territory. I'm not going to call it impossible but it might take nitrous to get you near it.

scmonsterchevy

Reaction score
First Name
zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
stepside short box c10
Engine Size
ya i was lookin at doin it on the cheap just heads intake tb cam headers then have to a get a chip burned for it

scmonsterchevy

Reaction score
First Name
zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
stepside short box c10
Engine Size
how much power could i expect out a combo like that

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
300 at the wheels wouldn't be surprising, maybe a wee bit more. Without upping the compression, bore or changing the heads I wouldn't think much more could be had. Vortec heads are pretty cheap, priced them for $300/pair at the local junk yard for 906's.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they flow any better than 450-500 CFM.

The stock 350 TBI flows 450 cfm. However, you can swap in a stock gm TBI unit from a 454 that will run 670 cfm.

scmonsterchevy

Reaction score
First Name
zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
stepside short box c10
Engine Size
i had a guy tell me 150 for complete 906 heads and with a 454 tbi do i need the 454 computer too or will the 350 computer work

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I honestly don't know enough about the electronics to comment on which one is best. I would think that either computer would need to be custom tuned to match the components that are going to be pieced together for your engine.

scmonsterchevy

Reaction score
First Name
zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
stepside short box c10
Engine Size
ya i kinda figured i could have to get a custom chip burned for it i think i might do that just to have a fuel injected toy

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The 5.7 computer will work as a starting point but a custom dyno tune from a local shop (if you can find one) woiuld be necessary for the correct prom. You can get a mail-order tune from someone like TBIChips.com or Wester's Garage, but you can expect to be mailing chips back and forth until it's dialed in. A third option, the one preferred by self-tuners, is the ebl flash program from Dynamic EFI which allows quick adjustments via your laptop without swapping proms. Expect a steep learning curve with self-tuning, I've been reading about it for a long time and it's a whole other language to learn.

The bbc tb will work but the plug from the wiring harness to the ecm is different and needs to be modified. The stock throttle body can be bored to 46mm, and with the right intake, will flow well enough to feed a mid-level 383 but if you're serious about 450 hp you'll need the 50mm bb unit.

You'll also have to get some 454 injectors (17084304) and a fuel pump that can provide enough fuel. Check out SPR Performance for tbi parts, good guy to deal with.

If I were shooting for big hp numbers like you, I would be looking at tpi instead of tbi, but I don't know enough about it to make any suggestions.

scmonsterchevy

Reaction score
First Name
zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
stepside short box c10
Engine Size
thanks skysurfer ya mean i really dont wanna have to pay a machine shop to go bigger i might just put teh vortec heads on it and intake and all that with a cam too we got a place around me that does dyno tune im not sure if they do older vehicles but i will call to find out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06