350 TBI 2k-3k RPM woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
TBI 350
Gotcha, that would be why the ECM isn't commanding it in the IROC. My dad's 87 hasn't ran in so long I can't even remember driving it.

Did they set it up to lock in third for hauling? Since your are not supposed to in overdrive.

I still think his issue would be the constant lockup in 4th. What do you think Jim?

No, that is not the issue, I wired it after getting tired of it constantly being unlocked just to keep highway speed. The converter locking has nothing to do with it. It just sucks trying to maintain over 70mph and its terrible on fuel doing it. I'm awful close to cutting my losses and getting rid of the truck.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
No, that is not the issue, I wired it after getting tired of it constantly being unlocked just to keep highway speed. The converter locking has nothing to do with it. It just sucks trying to maintain over 70mph and its terrible on fuel doing it. I'm awful close to cutting my losses and getting rid of the truck.

Random question (not sure if it's been covered), do you have a VSS hooked up?

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
TBI 350
Random question (not sure if it's been covered), do you have a VSS hooked up?

Yes I do. I used the speedo setup from the 87 donor suburban and have confirmed that it is reading with my scan tool. I'm now looking at turning the truck into a 4 speed to cure my unhappiness with its on the highway performance, or I may just sell it and buy a newer work truck that has AC, cruise, and a quieter cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade