350 rear main

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Did mine today while I have the trans out. I didn't have to remove the starter to take off the flexplate.

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yea me neither. Why did you have the trans out?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
It's good to have some peace of mind after it's done, knowing there is a fresh seal back there. I recently replaced all the seals on my engine...:)

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's good to have some peace of mind after it's done, knowing there is a fresh seal back there. I recently replaced all the seals on my engine...:)

That is essentially what I am doing this weekend. I got seals for essentially any area that could be a potential oil leak.. including the horrid bolt that seems to be missing off so many 350s by the fuel pump.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
That is essentially what I am doing this weekend. I got seals for essentially any area that could be a potential oil leak.. including the horrid bolt that seems to be missing off so many 350s by the fuel pump.

I remember the first time I saw the rod for the fuel pump through that hole on one of my older engines while I had it out. And then thought of how long it ran like that and how much dirt and dust that must have migrated in there after driving so many years on back roads. I immediately got 2 short bolts and threaded them in.

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I remember the first time I saw the rod for the fuel pump through that hole on one of my older engines while I had it out. And then thought of how long it ran like that and how much dirt and dust that must have migrated in there after driving so many years on back roads. I immediately got 2 short bolts and threaded them in.
that's scary!

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Dang that sucks. My trans was rebuilt about 5 months ago. Now it's leaking profusely. I gotta take it back. Luckily it's under warranty. I will do anything with a vehicle mechanic wise. But won't touch a trans. Except a tc swap.

19gmc84

Reaction score
First Name
Norman
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I just replaced my rear main...84 305, after replacing...started engine...noticed oil coming from flex plate cover right in front of oil filter and on the other side of top corner right beside starter.

Any clues? Still main seal...if so...what could be causing it to bypass seals?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Did mine today while I have the trans out. I didn't have to remove the starter to take off the flexplate.

Ya I don't know why I said that. Just brain farting again lol

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I just replaced my rear main...84 305, after replacing...started engine...noticed oil coming from flex plate cover right in front of oil filter and on the other side of top corner right beside starter.

Any clues? Still main seal...if so...what could be causing it to bypass seals?

Oil pan gasket? Oil sending sensor up top ? Rear intake manifold leak although that should just be a little dribble.

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
Just did my rear main, using Felpro 2912 seal and OS341510T one-piece pan gasket.

Finally, despite only six months on the full rebuild (Mr. G****T gaskets s**k), no drips on the driveway.

One-piece pan gaskets are worth their weight in gold.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just did my rear main, using Felpro 2912 seal and OS341510T one-piece pan gasket.

Finally, despite only six months on the full rebuild (Mr. G****T gaskets s**k), no drips on the driveway.

One-piece pan gaskets are worth their weight in gold.

I put Felpro 2900 (http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fel-2900/overview/) for my rear main seal. Sucker just nicely slid into place. And I have the matching blue (http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fel-os34510t/overview/) oil pan gasket for my truck.

Also put a thin layer of rtv on the rear main block so hopefully now leaks will be gone!

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
When I built the motor, I used Permatex Ultra Blue between the block and cap. This go-round, I used Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket.

pat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Coming from two places like that, I'd suspect the pan gasket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceyman72