350 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daves84

Reaction score
First Name
dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok so I'm new here and hope you can help... This is the craziest thing, I wanted to hook up some gauges cause mine aren't working, anyway hooked everything up now the truck won't start at all...

I had to pull the distributor to get the oil pressure sending unit out and the new gauge unit in. I mark the dist as to where I had it when I pulled it. I also found tdc and all that jazz when I put it back in. Checked the cap to make sure it was actually pointing to the number 1 wire and the firing order seems correct.

By the way this is a 84 chevy 350... The only gauge I think I screwed up was the thermostat, I removed some sort of vaccum/sensor that was not hooked up to anything and put the thermo sensor in its place. Could this be keeping the truck from starting?

I have spark and fuel, but will not start at all? Its driving me crazy....:crazy:

Also have another question... What is the big round thing my carb linkage is hooked up to? I had to take all that off as well, but I put it all together the way it came apart. the big round thing has a wiring harness pluged into the back as well.

The truck kinda wants to start if I hold the throttle to the floor, but it just won't do it. I do have spark as well.

Attachments

• 2012-03-03_19-40-09_581.jpg
    2012-03-03_19-40-09_581.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
did you put the fuel filter back in the right way? i have a 350 carbureted gas engine and last time i changed my fuel filter i noticed that one side has a rubber end on it. maybe you put it in backwards? in which case it might still draw fuel but it would have a real hard time. have you taken off your air filter to look down your carb and see if it is squirting gas?

everytime I have a problem with my truck i just have to step back. take a breather and retrace everything, usually its something super easy or some "no brainer" thing I was sure i put back together right.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd have to say your timing is off. Loosen the hold down bolt a little, then have a buddy slowly rotate the dizzy while you crank the truck.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I think you left a plugin off on the dist. You should have one big thick wire that's the main feed, plugs into the batt. side of the cap, and being an 84 I'd bet has ESC, one big weatherpak on the ps that hooks up and in that case an L-shaped plugin that hooks into the batt. side first then the thick wire into that.

Daves84

Reaction score
First Name
dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Never took out the fuel filter...

I pretty sure I plugged all the wires to the dizz..One big plug two smaller plugs.. But I will look again tomorrow... I was also leaning towards timing, but I was turning it a little while trying to start, didn't seem to make a difference..

Its crazy... I checked the firing order and spark, didn't mess with the fuel... hmm

Is there anyway to put this dizzy in backwards or something? I know I TDC and check to make sure it was pointing at #1 and all that, but I don't know...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, the timing can be 180* off. You point it to #1 while it's at TDC as marked on the balancer, while both valves are closed on #1. So if you simply just turned it to the TDC marking, the timing could be WAY off.

Dieselshine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 trailering special
Engine Size
Yeah, the timing can be 180* off. You point it to #1 while it's at TDC as marked on the balancer, while both valves are closed on #1. So if you simply just turned it to the TDC marking, the timing could be WAY off.

Just what I was thinking, you could have cylinder one at the top on an intake or exhaust stroke think back to how a 4 stroke really works you need the compression stroke, the easiest way would be to pull the plug and have a friend either turn the motor over by the crank with either your or his finger covering the plug hole till you feel the compression stroke get it to tdc and set your distributor to #1 she should fire right up after then set your timing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64