350 Engine Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I recently bought an engine off CL for $100 which included the complete long block Crate motor, Heche en Mexico 4 bolt, and 700r4 trans for $100. The guy said it ran perfect but like an idiot he let water get in it from a recent rain and it only took 2 days and wouldn't turn over. So I bought it anyway, soaked the cylinders and got it free since I knew 2 days couldn't have done all that much damage, and I planned on going thru it anyway but $100 for 350 4 bolt and Trans core was cheap enough. After I get it home and unloading it with the hoist, I realized something was wrong, very wrong, and someone is a *******, other than me for buying it. Anyone know whats wrong with this picture? I have an idea how to get around it, but other ideas would great too.

Attachments

• Targermaster350 012.jpg
    Targermaster350 012.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 162

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I give up, I cant spot the problem.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Where that grade 8 bolt goes into the block for the chain to hoist the motor, that is the hole where your oil pressure sending unit goes. Its a smaller very fine threaded hole, and the ******* just crammed that big ass bolt in there, made the hole bigger and stripped out the threads. And a bellhousing bolt hole was directly behind the block and would have been the wise choice.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
My god! some people should have their tools taken away, including me. A hela-coil probably wont work in that situation will it?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
turned into paper weight status?? :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My god! some people should have their tools taken away, including me. A hela-coil probably wont work in that situation will it?
Nope, I am sure it would leak for one, and I have never seen a heli coil in that fine thread. I think what I'll have to do is tap it out to the next size pipe thread and see if I can't find a brass 1/4 or 5/16in pipe then to a female oil pressure guage fitting, but not likely going to be able to use a electric one, it would have to be the manual guage type. And this block doesn't have another pressure tap in the front of the block over the timing cover like the older small blocks had. I mean leaving the motor uncovered without a carb was stupid enough, but I can see how that could happen, but the freakin moron had to of taken the oil pressure switch out of that whole when he transfered everything to the other motor. The motor does look decent. I just wanted to hone the cylinders, and re ring it and new bearings and run with it. But now I think I'll get it hot tanked, new cam bearings and freeze plugs too.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
turned into paper weight status?? :)
NO, I'll use it one way or another, even if I had to have someone weld a pipe in he hole to keep it from leaking. I would just put a brass plug in it, but I don't think there is any other pressure tap in that block.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
How far did that dude manage to run the bolt in? is it possible the threads further down are still in tact?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It went deep enough, a switch couldn't catch any threads.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
should be another pressure tap over the oil filter location.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks, I'll be checking it out. I am used to the older blocks where it has one over the timing cover and the one in the back of the intake. I hope it has another one if I can't save this one. I am thinking I can make use of this one, but for a mechanical guage which I prefer anyway, but not for a electric light switch or pressure sender switch.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
only problem with it down by the oil filter, is header or manifold clearance. manifolds are usually fine, but headers, they can hit or melt them, just ask how I know LOL.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
I say drill it out, weld something in it and drill/tap it

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
should be another pressure tap over the oil filter location.

only problem with it down by the oil filter, is header or manifold clearance. manifolds are usually fine, but headers, they can hit or melt them, just ask how I know LOL.

That's the route I would go. Most headers should be fine, but yeah, some will cause troubles there.

Then just tap the ruined hole for a pipe plug.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
As long as its a pressure tap, I am sure I can use some brass fitting to re route it. I'll make it work. No going without Oil pressure guage and swtch for idiot light. I usually hook both since I know some people that might be driving my truck, like a female, wouldn't know what oil pressure is good and bad, not to mention, I get a little sleepy, I don't check guages as frequnetly. I have a feeling, I'll get something worked out the one behind the intake. Probably as suggested above. Drill it out to 1/4 or 5/16 pipe thread, then tap it, and be able use a reducer to hook a manual guage to it, or might even be able to go with a T and put both the switch and the guage on the same T provided there will be room between the firewall and engine, or dizzy isn't in the way. I feel confident I'll get it work out one way or another. I just think the guy who did it, shouldn't be allowed to have tools. Not even a hammer to hang pictures in his house, or a screwdriver to change a switch plate of door knob. :pp:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paz4x4