350 Casting Numbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500
Engine Size
Okay these are the pictures of the flywheel that was on the engine. Googled it it’s a 168 tooth flywheel. What else do I need to know when buying the new one?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I use a wix 51794 (same as Napa gold filters). Like $8 a pop from rock auto. Fits with manifolds and long tube headers.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
Okay these are the pictures of the flywheel that was on the engine. Googled it it’s a 168 tooth flywheel. What else do I need to know when buying the new one?

Just the tooth count is all you need. AFAIK

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Guess I’m confused now. The engine had a standard transmission behind it. Now you want to put an auto in it’s place. The picture shown would be a flywheel, which is different from a flex plate used with an auto. So if you tell the guy you need a 168 tooth flywheel for a sbc, then it won’t work using an auto because the converter has to be mounted, not a clutch pack. May just be me not making any sense from not reading this correctly. Or, maybe I don’t make sense? Just would hate to see you get the wrong thing and go thru the hassle or taking it back.

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
Guess I’m confused now. The engine had a standard transmission behind it. Now you want to put an auto in it’s place. The picture shown would be a flywheel, which is different from a flex plate used with an auto. So if you tell the guy you need a 168 tooth flywheel for a sbc, then it won’t work using an auto because the converter has to be mounted, not a clutch pack. May just be me not making any sense from not reading this correctly. Or, maybe I don’t make sense? Just would hate to see you get the wrong thing and go thru the hassle or taking it back.

You're right. The teeth count should be the same however, but he needs a flex plate not a flywheel. He will also need a Torque Converter for the transmission. A trans cooler and the corresponding lines. I must have read over the part where he was going to change the transmission.

Marcus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500
Engine Size
You're right. The teeth count should be the same however, but he needs a flex plate not a flywheel. He will also need a Torque Converter for the transmission. A trans cooler and the corresponding lines. I must have read over the part where he was going to change the transmission.

I have all the lines, converter, and all that. I took this engine out of one vehicle and going to switch parts and put it in my truck that has always had an automatic transmission in it.

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
Then you should be okay with the flex plate only. The only thing I might see iffy is making sure the torque converter lines up but other then that you are golden friend.

Marcus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500
Engine Size
Then you should be okay with the flex plate only. The only thing I might see iffy is making sure the torque converter lines up but other then that you are golden friend.

The trans and torque converter have always been together so I know they match up. How would the flex plate not line up with the torque converter? Also I’ve been looking at flexplates on autozone and Oreilly websites and there’s a minor difference in them. One says 14 1/8” diameter and the other says 14.13” diameter. I’m not good with math so I’m not sure on the difference

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
One is 14.125 vs 14.3 not sure how much difference it would make. Its beyond my knowledge from here.

Marcus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500
Engine Size
You can also note that a 153 tooth flexplate always uses the straight bolt pattern starter, and the 168 tooth flexplate uses a angle bolt pattern starter.

I don’t really know the difference in those starter bolt patterns.

omillan99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
350 4 Bolt
Here you go