305 TBI to Best Bang for the buck engine upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TWISTER

Reaction score
First Name
martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton
Engine Size
305 TBI
I just picked up a 1987 1/2 ton 4x4 chevy truck w 3/4 ton axles and 4:10 gears. IT is a no rust original paint truck but the 305 is not going to do it. After reading through all the threads here I think the best idea is a Vortec 350. I want torque as I plan on plowing with it and pulling a little. Is the best option to stick with the TBI or go with a carb? Is there a build thread on what I will need to do this swap? I plan on picking up a junkyard engine and rebuilding it so the only mods I can think of would be a cam on this.. Any info or opinion would be appreciated. I just dont want to have any issues with the truck from too many mods. Thanks

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Cost involved just depends on what you are lucky enough to find. Best bang for the buck in my mind would be a mild 350 or 454 and stick with the TBI. Not necessarily start with a TBI motor though, the TBI is easily adapted to any small block or big block.

TWISTER

Reaction score
First Name
martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton
Engine Size
305 TBI
Im thinking a Vortec 5.7 with a cam and rebuild. From what I have gathered here I can run the TBI on it but what mods do I need to do that for the TBI. Chip? Injectors? I assume a Vortex intake? And the distributor needs addressed also I assume. Anything I am missing and if someone has done this can you give me some insight? Thanks

imoto344

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
http://tbichips.com/
Check out this link. There is a recomendation page for engines. I can only get that page on a computer, wouldnt pull it up on tablet or phone. To much cam lowers vacuum and map sensor freaks out. Pcm cant make fuel adjustments. Your not to far from me. I live east of lagrange 10 miles. Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10