3 speed locked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79Scott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10-Silverado
Engine Size
305ci
Hey Guys,
I took my tuck out for a short drive and my C10 tranny locked up I think. I pulled up to stop sign and went to take off and the truck wouldn't move almost as if the emergency break was on. Any ideas? Come to think of it, it actually acted just like the emergency break was on. It would stall out as if it was in gear with the brake on.

I put the tranny in neutral and the wheels were still locked up and would not roll.

My truck is a '79 with a three speed on the column. Also how can I tell what model tranny I have? If the tranny is gone I would like to rebuild or find a remanufactured one as a replacement.

Thanks

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Might be worthwile to disconnect the driveshaft and verify if it is the rear end or transmission that is locked up

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Can you move the shifter to different gears? Check that both shift arms on the tranny will travel to neutal. if the detents in the tranny are worn yo could have two shift rings engauged at the same time. Sloppy linkage wi do that too.

79Scott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10-Silverado
Engine Size
305ci
Hey guys,
I attempted to put the shift arms to the neutral position on the side of the tranny and wasn't able too, albeit I could shift the tranny into gear sitting in the truck. I didn't think that the rear end could be locked up.

Thanks

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Its pretty hard to turn it by hand without a screw driver for leverage ?

79Scott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10-Silverado
Engine Size
305ci
I had a tire iron that I was using. Now that I think of it I'm wondering if the rear end locked up. If the truck would attempt to move but acted as if the emergency brake was on I am inclined to believe the rear end is the problem. which leads me to ask my next question, what locks up in the rear end?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If the torque converter stuck locked up it would stall when you come to a stop. Was there any noise prior to this issue?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Are the brakes staying on for some reason? Seems odd you would come to a stop normally and then not be able to move.....

79Scott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10-Silverado
Engine Size
305ci
There no noise prior to stopping, could be the rear brakes that are locked. I checked the emergency brake and it was disengaged. Truck does not have a brake booster. It would seem strange to me that both wheels could lock up. Would a proportioning valve failure cause both wheels to lock at the same time?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
If the torque converter stuck locked up it would stall when you come to a stop. Was there any noise prior to this issue?

Manuals don't have torque converters. ;)

Prop valve could cause the rear brakes to lock up. As could bad wheel cylinders, stretched springs, self-adjusting actuator on the wrong sides, something could have broken inside the drum and lodged itself somewhere.

No way of knowing really until you yank the wheels and drums.

79Scott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10-Silverado
Engine Size
305ci
I hopefully will tear into in the next few days and see what the issue is.

Thanks

So what transmission would the truck have? Its the stock 3 speed on the column. Is it the 465?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Manuals don't have torque converters. ;)

Prop valve could cause the rear brakes to lock up. As could bad wheel cylinders, stretched springs, self-adjusting actuator on the wrong sides, something could have broken inside the drum and lodged itself somewhere.

No way of knowing really until you yank the wheels and drums.

Oh haha I thought he was talking about an automatic

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It should be only four bolts to drop the drive shaft. This would be a sure way to isolate the problem. If rear end locked, take the wheels off and check brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64