2ND Aluminum Radiator Rotting out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Peak doesn't taste sweet. I know by accident. I am not an antifreeze taste tester by trade...lol...

Most heavy diesel coolant and some european stuff has an embitterment agent added so that animals don't try to drink it. It is supremely bitter.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Tasting some funky stuff there guys.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The anode rod whether 100% necessary or not is a good idea. Read up on water heaters.They have a sacrificial anode rod you are suppose to change, longer warranty heaters generally have better anode rods. When the sacrificial rod is used up then the water attacks the inside of the tank, then they leak, then you get to buy a new water heater. Makes sense it could benefit our cars, never thought about it before.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Most heavy diesel coolant and some european stuff has an embitterment agent added so that animals don't try to drink it. It is supremely bitter.

Hmmm. My ex wife must of had some "embitterment" in her. Sounds eerily similar.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Derek off Vice Grip Garage always taste tests the oils in the rigs he does on revivals.

I can attest to green antifreeze being sweet from splashing into my mouth while working.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hmmm. My ex wife must of had some "embitterment" in her. Sounds eerily similar.

Ever heard the legal term attractive nuisance? I've always thought that described my ex.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The anode rod whether 100% necessary or not is a good idea. Read up on water heaters.They have a sacrificial anode rod you are suppose to change, longer warranty heaters generally have better anode rods. When the sacrificial rod is used up then the water attacks the inside of the tank, then they leak, then you get to buy a new water heater. Makes sense it could benefit our cars, never thought about it before.

Again... tap water makes a great conductor and often is slightly acidic. Always use distilled water in automotive coolant systems!!!!!!!!!!!!

85 CA SIERRA 1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TRACEY
Truck Year
Truck Model
SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
Pics? What do you mean by aluminum radiator? Is it one of the plastic end tank ones, or a "fancy" racing welded all aluminum one? What brand coolant are you using?
Thanks for jumpin in,,,it is all aluminum,,,,coolan is walmart brand supposed to be for aluminum radiators,,, next time I will use a name brand like Prestone

85 CA SIERRA 1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TRACEY
Truck Year
Truck Model
SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
What was the time frame that the 2nd radiator went bad?

Coolant definitely has a life expectancy.Not saying you reached that,but I’m curious.

I try and change the coolant every 2-3 years.I also use more of a 60% coolant 40% water mix.I use Prestone green.Tastes good.
Thanks for jumpin in, this one is only 7 or so months old,,,bought it off Ebay, was supposed to have a lifetime warranty,,,I have been trying to contact the seller for 2 weeks and still no response

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I like her face down,ass up....or asleep.Simetimes I rather just drink antifreeze that have a talk.....babe,where are,checking the antifreeze...hahaha.**** work.Sucky first day back.After 3 weeks off!Nice vacation.Most time off straight in 21 years!

So the day started off with a shower and shave...wife packed the lunch...I gathered up my ****,started the work truck...feed the dogs,smoke a cig,check gm squarebody one more time....15 min goes by.I go outside,open the door to a dinging truck.It says low oil pressure,will shut off soon.I freaked out,looked at the gauge.,.0.I turned it off,dug out the flashlight,oil just spewing all around the filter area.Get a piece of plywood,under I go.Those newer HDs sit low for a 4x4.Anyhow,filter is loose.Got a complete turn with oil slicked gloves,another 1/4 with oil off and bare hands.Mind you I am freaking pissed off!

Anyway,took a pic and texted my relief with good news of running behind,texted my boss.So,do I have any of this oil 5w 30,yep,because I change my kid’s Toyota whenever he’s down from school,I have 3 quarts 1 in 3 separate 5qt jugs,because his only takes 4.I live away from town,hoping it’s enough for oil pressure to make it to the truck stop,no one else is open at 4am.It was,I made it....38 dollars later for 4qts of mobile.I could choke that kid at the fast lube place.I even tipped that grease monkey when company truck,company oil change!

Drove an hour to work,was only an hour behind....and if I told you the rest of my day 40mph winds 55mph gust and the rest of it,you wouldn’t wanna go back either.

No,in the end,glad to have made it home safe,mama is cooking dinner and my dog is at my feet.****** A

85 CA SIERRA 1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TRACEY
Truck Year
Truck Model
SIERRA CLASSIC
Engine Size
I disagree. Simple electrolysis will eat it up....unless everything in the cooling system is the same material. My all aluminum rad had noticable corrosion until I did some research and added an anode. Then again, I don't have ****** California water. Lol

You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks for posting this,,,I will get one and give it a try

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I think it’s worth a try...anodes.Cheap.

Dan Brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
355 (.030 over 350)
I don' know what brand of antifreeze you are using, but I use Wal Mart brand. It's my understanding that their blue bottle antifreeze, the 100% antifreeze, is made by the company that makes Prestone and their white bottle antifreeze, the premixed 50/50, is made by the company that makes Peak. I use the 100% stuff because a gallon of water to mix with it is cheap, and never had any antifreeze problems with any of my vehicles. You might try calling Prestone or Peak and talk to somebody that knows what they're talking about and get their opinion of your problem.

olnick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c15
Engine Size
1982 350 4 bolt mains
Test the antifreeze with a multimeter! I have the same mix for over 10 years now and it is as clean as when installed new!

Olnick

How to Test Coolant
Begin with a cold engine. Remove the radiator cap and start the engine. Set your digital multimeter to DC volts at 20 volts or less. When the engine reaches operating temperature, insert the positive probe directly into the coolant. Rev the engine to 2,000 rpm and place the negative probe on the negative battery terminal. If the digital meter reads .4 volts or less, your coolant is in good condition. If it’s greater than .4 volts, the electrolysis additives are exhausted, and you may be in the market for a new radiator, a water pump or a heater core in the future. All of those are far more expensive than a simple coolant change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08