235/85/16 tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randall12v

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Anyone know of good tires in this size 235/85/16? Not looking to spend a fortune either...

Figured I'd keep this new '81 GMC K2500 fairly stock looking. Figured these tires would be best for stock 16's.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I like General and Continental because they are American companies. You can get a feel for prices and such on www.tirerack.com. You can see reviews and pick the type of tire for what you are wanting to use them for.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I'm buying (one at a time) a set of BFG Rugged Terrains in 235/85 for the dooleys. I have a wider set up front. I think they are a nice, conservative mix between on/off road, and they look pretty good. They look fairly aggressive, but do not sound like it. I can get them for $172 each shipped on ebay, basically avoiding local and state taxes (about a $50-60 savings on 4). Here is a pic of the day I had the wider ones installed up front:

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a 235/85 I got a couple weeks ago:

I'm ordering one at a time to minimize the hit to the bank account. One more and I can finally get them installed!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I just picked up a set of these. They should be around $200 a piece. Canadian money.

Goodyear Duratrac.

I don't know how well they will hold up but they are supposed to be the best winter snow tire on the market. They are snow and mountain rated and come in load range E @ 80 psi

So far they are wearing very good. They have been on for 2 months and I still have some of the little wigglers hanging on lol

The only down side is that they pick up rocks like crazy

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just picked up a set of these. They should be around $200 a piece. Canadian money.

Goodyear Duratrac.

I don't know how well they will hold up but they are supposed to be the best winter snow tire on the market. They are snow and mountain rated and come in load range E @ 80 psi

So far they are wearing very good. They have been on for 2 months and I still have some of the little wigglers hanging on lol

Duratracs are one of the best rated tires out right now for general use tire that works well off road and in winter.

Good choice.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That's what I hear. After watching a couple youtube videos I was sold.

I actually got a good deal through crappy tire. $1000 for 33s installed. Although the morons broke off a couple wheel studs even though I just had those rims on and off by hand just weeks before.

They were gonna fix the studs and I was like NO!!!!!!!! ill fix it my self!

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Interesting the 235/85r16s come in load E but the 265/75r16s only come in load range C. They are both the same diameter at 31.7 inches

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Interesting the 235/85r16s come in load E but the 265/75r16s only come in load range C. They are both the same diameter at 31.7 inches

That is odd, and its not the size that does it. I've got the Rugged Terrains in 265/75 up front and they are full 10 ply E rated tires. Odd Goodrich did not follow suit.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That is odd, and its not the size that does it. I've got the Rugged Terrains in 265/75 up front and they are full 10 ply E rated tires. Odd Goodrich did not follow suit.

Ya it is.

I see guys are getting C range tires with out knowing any better and putting them on full size trucks and then they are all pissed and slammin the duratrac tires. but you cant put C range tires on a full size truck even if its a 1/2 ton lol

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I got my truck back from crappy tire and I wasn't impressed with the tires so I checked the pressure and they were between 35-25 psi. Morons for sure. I pumped them up to 65 psi and much better.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I had bought a set of those about a year and a half ago. I really liked them when I had them. Only put 700 miles on them maybe... used them hunting. They saw pavement, gravel roads, 4" of wet clay, and 8" of wet snow. They did really well. The only issue I heard that some people had was when going heavy offroading some tore out the sidewall.

I ended up selling them to a friend when work sent me away for 8 months. He needed them- and has liked them so far also.

Goodyear Duratrac.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
:Insane:I guess they are only 2 ply side walls

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

265 Duratracs come in both C and E ratings.... :shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus