208 grinding,will it last ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
83 GMC 1500 TH350 NP208 transfer case will not pull in 2H or 4H,it just sits there making these bad grinding,bumping noises.
It does pull in 4 low without any kind of noise but it do`nt go to fast. :emotions33:
Just curious as to how long You people think it might go before completely breaking ???
The guy what owns it is real broke but He will be getting a 89 Suburban before the end of next month at which time the TBI and drive train components from the Suburban will be going into the Pickup.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Anyone.
Any speculation as to what went wrong with this transfercase.
why would it pull in 4 low but not in 4 or 2 high.
I thought if the chain went bad that it would not pull in any range except for 2 high.
Just trying to figure this thing out but My knowledge on transfer cases is very limited.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't know either. I would drain the fluid into a clean pan and see what it looks like.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don't know either. I would drain the fluid into a clean pan and see what it looks like.

I`ll do that when He gets over here with it sometime.
We wo`nt be repairing this transfer as the one in the doner suburban will be going into it.
Maby,after the parts from the suburban are instilled into is pickup I`ll tear it apart and look see what went wrong,if it`s not too bad I might do the repairs just to have it in case somebody needs a good one.
There will be a lot of parts from the suburban that I will be offering up here when We are done with it.
good hood,front clip,interior pieces,etc.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The shifter linkage probably needs adjusted.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The shifter linkage probably needs adjusted.

I think it is as You said.
The guy that owns the pickup got to messing with the shifter and the four wheel drive is now working.
I havent had a chance to get it into the garage to check it out yet.
I thought that it was awfull goofey that He had four low but no other positions worked.
Thank You very much and that goes for all of Youse guys.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
its probabbly the shift fork the get spead open and fall off the collar

not sure what t case this pic is just found it on the web real quick. but it shows how the shift fork is. they are a comon problem with the 208. its not a hard thing to fix but you need to get a good shift fork and tear down the 208.

Attachments

• np208pads.jpg
    np208pads.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 139

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
OK.Dont think We`ll be messing with that T case as He is buying a 90 Suburban and He wants to take the components from that and install them into His 83 1500.
The engine in the Suburban has had some work done to it,but,the guy that owns it run out of time,His wife`s pregernant and He was needing the bucks.
One exhaust manifold need put back on,lifters adjusted and probably a few other things to make the Suburban run.
I told Ricky that We`d better finish getting the burban running and make sure everything is functioning properly before We go parts swapping,just in case there`s a pwoblem with any of the burban components,going to TBI His 83.
Now,is what I am hoping for is that after We gets that burban fired and running that he will decide that He likes the Burban tooo,then,We`ll be scrapping for another vehicle for a parts doner,then,He might like that one too and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Where does it end? :Violin: :beatdeadhorse5: :leghump::drink_nl:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx