1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1991 suburban project

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by 3FingerDan, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Daveo91Burb

Daveo91Burb Full Access Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    V2500 Silverado Suburban
    Engine Size:
    Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
    Welcome fellow '91 Burb owner! 383 with vortec heads in mine, but the LS conversion was on my mind (and still is sometimes) when I was building my SBC.

2. 3FingerDan

3FingerDan Junior Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Suburban
    Engine Size:
    The finger story- short version- I do industrial/heavy commercial mechanical work (heating/cooling/industrial process piping). I was working at a hospital on a large air handler and was moving belts by hand on a large fan (fan wheel was steel and about 6-700lbs with a 75hp electric motor). Being 21 and oblivious, my hand ran through the worn-razor-sharp motor pulley while checking motor bearings and got the end knuckles of 3 fingers. Wrapped the hand in my over shirt and walked down to the ER. Luckily, they were mostly saved and didn’t suffer any problems long term with the hand. But, my nickname was born that day. I’m 36 now and still am known by everyone as three finger Dan. It sucks it happened, but has shaped how I view paying attention/doing things safely.

Back to the suburban though, I filled it with 10 gallons of 93 ethanol free premium and will see how it does. It was pretty much empty, which isn’t a good thing as moisture and rust is probably in the tank. We’ll see how it does, but I see a new tank in it’s future.

I’m about to start a thread in the other forum you mentioned. Bought a parts truck today with 3/4 ton axles, so I have some plans.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

HotRodPC likes this.
  3. HotRodPC

HotRodPC Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    85 K20 LWB / 86 K5
    Truck Model:
    Silverado / Silverado
    Engine Size:
    454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73 350 - 700R4 - 4.10
    Great, I'll be looking for the build thread.

At least you're a male, so 3 finger Dan isn't so bad. Back in the day there was this girl that everyone had a turn with. They called her 4 Finger Barbara and I'm here to tell you, I think that was being conservative cuz I think it should have been full fisted Barbara. It's just a real good thing she could get that golf ball through a garden hose or there wouldn't have been anything at all worthy.

That sounds pretty damn painful. I've dealt with some of that duct work and that is some sharp stuff, so you don't even need to be playing in wheels and motors in that biz to get sliced open and gutted like a fish.