1991 Suburban Manual Lock-Up switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redneck_reed78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Braden
Truck Year
1987, 1991
Truck Model
R30, Suburban
Engine Size
I am thinking that I want to wire up a manual TC lock up switch in my 1991 V1500 Suburban. How do I go about doing it? I'm going to be dailying the pig for a while so this is on the top of my list to do before that time comes.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Are you running a TH350C with the outlet for a TCC plug? If so, are you running the TBI setup? If you are, the computer controls that. You should find a pinout of your ECM and wire up the lockup to the factory hardware if it's not done so already. If you're running an older, regular TH350, I don't see this happening unless they make some kind of conversion kit. Those external lockup switches have to have something to plug into something (i.e. 700R4, 200-4R, TH250C, or TH350C).

Last edited:

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
Are you running a TH350C with the outlet for a TCC plug? If so, are you running the TBI setup? If you are, the computer controls that. You should find a pinout of your ECM and wire up the lockup to the factory hardware.

Whoa! I've got and 88' Suburban TBI 350 and 700R4 and the TC locks and unlocks all the time. A trans shop told me these were notorious for needing the perfect combination of all it's sensors to operate the trans correctly.

So I was thinking about ordering one of these http://www.monstertransmission.com/700R4-External-Lock-Up-Kit_p_4988.html#.VlErAnarQqI but now you just made me think I can do it another way? Splain Lucy. Where's/What's this outlet for the TCC.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well, the ECM (7747) mediates lockup for that 700R4. The plugin for the lockup is a little four pin style square plug (with only three pins if I'm not mistaken) that plugs into the driver side of the transmission above the pan. The plug may be not tightly plugged in (happened to me), the brake switch may be bad, there may be a wiring problem, or possibly one of the integrated circuits or diodes in your ECM could have damaged itself causing intermittent functionality. I would say the last option is the least likely, especially if everything else is running smoothly, but it happens. You can get the plug quicker in any auto parts store if you need but cheaper online. Really the most complex part of fixing it is if it needs wire tracing to repair damage. If there's a break, it'll likely be under the car where critters and elements can get to it. You should also be able to bridge Pins A and F on your ALDL connector with a test light to gauge functionality of the TCC lockup. That external setup is generally unnecessary for a vehicle made after '80 with either an ECM or the requisite vacuum switches for the carbed guys. You should really only need that Monster or B&M thing if you're running an earlier model vehicle that's getting a lockup tranny or a manual to automatic with lockup swap, and you don't want to fool with emanating a factory setup. His connector (if he has a TH350C) looks exactly the same and should be made to work in a similar fashion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The image on the right is the connector pinout. You won't need to do any fancy wiring @glockholiday. Probably just verify that your brake switch is good (not sticking or unplugged; good if brake lights and cruise control work correctly), the connector's plugged into the tranny and neither male nor female sides are corroded, and the wires are in good shape under the Burb and going up into the bulkhead connector. That should do it, and it shouldn't take but a few minutes. Look at how much money you just saved.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Last thing. Here's the connector if you need to pick it up. The clip is broken on one of mine but it still goes in there and stays fine. I can only post pics off my phone one at a time so excuse the multiple postings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

redneck_reed78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Braden
Truck Year
1987, 1991
Truck Model
R30, Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks guys. It's gonna be a fun month dailying it in the cold winter lol

Attachments

• 20160917_125818.jpg
    20160917_125818.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 152

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Good luck. As long as your cooling system is up to par, you'll be just fine.

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
Yes my brake lights and cruise work fine.

So if I jump A and F and I here the solenoid work. But it still locks and unlocks intermittently while cruising freeway speeds what do I do if I shouldn't get the monster kit.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yes my brake lights and cruise work fine.

So if I jump A and F and I here the solenoid work. But it still locks and unlocks intermittently while cruising freeway speeds what do I do if I shouldn't get the monster kit.

Check your plug at the transmission and the wiring, especially the ground wire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rotti_rancher