1991 gmc suburban stock shock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Just picked up a 91 gmc suburban 4x4 and now that I've got it on the road, it definitely needs some shocks. It's still got the quad front shocks but they could very well be the original factory ones. Rockauto has part numbers for inner and outer shocks, but I'd like to go to just one shock. Anyone know if there are benefits to keeping the 2 shocks? or if I went to a single shock, which one would work (inner vs outer) since they're different part numbers?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The more common single shock is the most rearward position using the triangular outer bracket (I think this is the "outer" shock but I can't remember for sure).

With respect to the question of 1 vs 2, the typical answer is that current shock tech can accomplish the same job with only 1 shock - I believe this to be true but have no actual tech info to reference.

Bilstein shocks are a really popular replacement for square body trucks. While shopping, talk to Off Road Design they are a distributor and have a line of Bilstein's that are valved differently specifically for square body trucks.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Word of caution on Bilsteins, I think ORD provides the right bushings but none of the “right” Bilstein 5100s fit without modification in my experience.
I tried and between wrong sizes, mods needed to steering stabilizer as well as all new bushings in the shocks, I returned them all and bought shocks I didn’t have to fck with for half the price.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I run the factory quads up front. Budget was tight for bilstiens and got 7 shocks for price of 2 bilstiens. The front of the truck feels nice and the back is a little spongy.

I went with the middle of the pack shocks. No fancy names.

I do plan on going with a single down the road I'm thinking and using the inner shock bracket for a longer shock for flex. The outer is the factory one

geocrasher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I came here to ask the exact same question. It's time for shocks. One of the drivers front shocks let go. Can't really tell, as the other still works. Got a weird oily substance on the driveway one day, then it stopped! They're old yellow shocks that have probably been on there 20 years. I'm guessing I'll need new bolts too. If anyone knows what bolts are needed, I'll buy them ahead of time so I can just get the old ones off with a cutoff wheel. Thanks so much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag