1991 GMC Suburban Overland build Question(s),

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartinWD

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban 1500
Engine Size
5.7L
I (just) bought a 1991 GMC 1500 Suburban 4x4. No rust.

1. Looking for steel wheels - somewhat larger, to look beefier, say 16" or 17" with an offset to fill the wheel well but not outside of the wheel well. Any advice on the offset and where I can find (silver or black) steel wheels?
2. Roof Rack. Where can I find a large roof rack (basket) that does not entail drilling holes in the roof?
3. 2" lift kit. What is the best option available?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Martin

Italianwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Got any photos? I’m installing a two inch lift now on my 87.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
2" lift springs..

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Rough Country lifts are the best bang for the buck. I have 2" RC lift kit on my '87 burb and couldn't be happier. They hold up for years, are durable and well made, and you can't beat the price. Only complaint you hear is that the springs are stiff producing a slightly harsher ride than some of the kits that cost more than twice as much. But let's be real it's a 30 year old lifted full size 4x4 utility wagon than sits on leaf springs front and rear, honestly who is expecting a smooth ride? Lol
Sure if you're made of money you can spend a few grand and buy something else, but for me a kit that was only a few hundred dollars that accomplished the exact same thing a more expensive kit would at the expense of feeling some bumps was worth it big time (also IME stiffer springs = less body roll so you can drive it normally without feeling like you're gonna tip over on offramps, with my stock suspension I had to slow way down for any curve in the road, now I can exceed the speed limit like a normal human being who has somewhere to be and not worry about it)

As far as the roof rack goes, how would one attach without drilling? I am unaware of such a thing besides the individual cross bar type that simply clamps onto the door opening. But a full basket seems like it just HAS to be drilled at least somewhere

MartinWD

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban 1500
Engine Size
5.7L
I think that I have come to accept that I have to drill the roof - is there an off the shelf basket or rack available?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
2" is pretty minimal lift. Rought country would definitely be the cheapest... not the best by any means though. They are generally considered to be the stiffest springs you can get... but for $400 for a complete kit, it might be what you are looking for. https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-140-88-92-20.html

I would personally recommend a Tuff Country 4" kit. They are much better riding and not terribly expensive. A 4" lift will give you full deflection clearance on a 33" tire and clearance most of the time with some minor rubbing at full deflection on a 35" tire.
https://www.suspensionconnection.com/14732kn-chevy-suburban.html

People with Rough Country lifts always say things like "you can't expect these trucks to ride well anyways" but the reality is that the Tuff Country rides better than it did stock, and the Rough Country is ROUGH... I've been in a truck with a 4" Rough Country lift and it rode like a dump truck compared to my stock 3/4 ton pickup. YMMV

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
2" is pretty minimal lift. Rought country would definitely be the cheapest... not the best by any means though. They are generally considered to be the stiffest springs you can get... but for $400 for a complete kit, it might be what you are looking for. https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-140-88-92-20.html

I would personally recommend a Tuff Country 4" kit. They are much better riding and not terribly expensive. A 4" lift will give you full deflection clearance on a 33" tire and clearance most of the time with some minor rubbing at full deflection on a 35" tire.

People with Rough Country lifts always say things like "you can't expect these trucks to ride well anyways" but the reality is that the Tuff Country rides better than it did stock, and the Rough Country is ROUGH... I've been in a truck with a 4" Rough Country lift and it rode like a dump truck compared to my stock 3/4 ton pickup. YMMV
Oh no, I agree, it rides really rough. I've been told by old dudes who were well familiar with cars and trucks when these things were brand new that my truck rides like a runaway lumber wagon that rolled down the mountain side. But I'm okay with it and basically embrace it

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size

Hah hah hah hah !

I have a 4" Rough Country lift and never thought of it as riding like a dump truck.

:anitoof:

I like that. Funny thing, though, is that the 33s will rub going up steep inclines while turning, and the handling is not as good as the full time 77 I had at stock height.

No idea how old the lift is- maybe the springs have sagged.

At any rate, my take.

Plus, you cant expect these old trucks to ride well anyways...

:dogpile:

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's been awhile but Confer used to be the rack that everyone used. They made them 2 different ways; 1 piece that was huge and difficult to ship, multiple pieces that broke down for shipping.

Depending on budget, usage, etc. I would look at ORD for the lift.

MartinWD

Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Suburban 1500
Engine Size
5.7L

Attachments

• 1991 suburban.jpg
    1991 suburban.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 116

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
I considered putting on a roof rack on mine and in looking it over, I came to the conclusion that maybe to best mount point would be to drill holes through the side pillars near the shoulder harness mounts, bend some 3/16 stock and cut and/or weld to fit. If you want a big rack, there are 3 pillars on each side. Seal the plates and any wiring to the outside with rtv or some type of sealing putty. Make plenty of room for wires for off road lights, camp lights, outside plug and for future solar panel(s).
A rack that size could hold some extra tires, gas cans, a couple of storage boxes or a foldout tent. Bolting to the pillars would support as much weight as the truck could carry, but it would be a little top heavy. One hell of an Urban Assault Vehicle.
I saw one that was made to hold a film crew getting live action stunt shots, that is how it appeared they did it.

RipTideTiger

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban 4x4
Engine Size
5.7L
I (just) bought a 1991 GMC 1500 Suburban 4x4. No rust.

1. Looking for steel wheels - somewhat larger, to look beefier, say 16" or 17" with an offset to fill the wheel well but not outside of the wheel well. Any advice on the offset and where I can find (silver or black) steel wheels?
2. Roof Rack. Where can I find a large roof rack (basket) that does not entail drilling holes in the roof?
3. 2" lift kit. What is the best option available?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Martin
Welcome, I have a 1991 as well. I replaced the front leaf springs with new Ranchos for a about a 2.5" lift. I kept the original rear leaf springs and added a few leafs to add about another 3". Overall ride isn't too bad. I kept the original 15" wheels and mounted 35"x12.5" tires. I've gone back and forth with a full size roof rack and just decided to use a Yakima rack set up to carry surfboards/kayaks/rocket box etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rumpity_z28