1991 burb with front and rear ac problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6erwebb

Reaction score
First Name
Webb
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500 Suburban
Engine Size
So my suburban is stock, 150k ac wasnt working when I got it which turned out to be a leaky compressor. So I got a new pancake compressor, dryer, and orifice tube.

Everything installed I pulled a vacuum on it and let it sit overnight. When I hooked the gauges up the next morning... PERFECT, no leaks. Still had every bit of vacuum I left it with.

Well I added refrigerant, slowly, only it didnt hold much 2.7 lbs to be exact but the pressures showed correct: 214:45 on a 95 degree day.

So I take it out and running down the road it just didnt cool great. I dont have a thermometer for the vents but on that 95 degree day, full blast ac seemed only enough to be able to stand the windows being up. Maybe 60-65 degree air?

When I got back I checked the pressures and theyd jumped to 275:58... I thought I had overcharged it and on shut down found the ambient pressure to be 110psi. So I let a bit out, down to 100. Started and checked again the pressures were right back up there 270:55... only this time when I shut down the ambient pressure was at the top of the low side gauge at 125psi!?

Now, Im just learning about ac and only have a moderate concept of it all but what could cause this?

The condenser is clean of debris but the truck does have a winch bumper fitted (pictured below) which is coming off today, I just needed a reason. Could the system itself be dirty? I didnt clean anything out and it did have A LOT of dye in it..

I appreciate ANY tips you guys can give.

Excuse my mug in the photo:

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
First of all, that's a nice Burb!

If your pressures are climbing, your fan clutch may be worn out, causing a lack of air flow through the condenser. Also, you have to be undercharged. The factory charge of R12 was around 4.5 lbs and it should be happy with around 4 lbs of R134a.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes