1990 Suburban Square Body Fuel Pump Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bright Idea

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V 2500 Suburbans
Engine Size
I have a 1990 suburban (square body ) that I need to remove and replace the in tank fuel pump. I am considering an access panel in the floor of the bed. it looks as though this is possible but a bit tight due to the support member spacing. The pump is centered between supports but the two line connections are under a support by a little bit. Has anyone made the change out using this method rather than dropping the tank? I am not concerned about reinstalling the cut out. this is an old work rig and would always be covered by the bed mat. I have seen many you tube videos of making access thru the truck bed but not specifically a square body suburban.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Cut it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When you lift up the carpet or mat and clean off the floor, it's easy to see all the spot welds that attach the crossmembers to the floor. Those will be your front-rear opening boundaries. Iirc, the width of the opening needs to be rather large. Far to the right so you can get wrenches on the fuel lines, and far enough left to access a ground wire.

You will want to put metal back over the hole when you are done, especially if you ever have heavy objects tossed in the back.

Bright Idea

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V 2500 Suburbans
Engine Size
Thank You
I did exactly as you said. This will allow replacement of the pump without any structural integrity issues. Much easier than dropping the tank. I will be reinstalling the cut out using light flat bar straps in the channels with rivets and seal the seams with caulk.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The access hatch seems kinda hack, but it can be done nicely and not cause any structural issues or insulation issues at all. I've done it to two different Burbs.

It's a much different scenario compared to some vehicles, like a 3rd gen F-body for example. I absolutely do not support making a fuel pump hatch in those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood