1990 k1500 stalls when put in gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

koda

Reaction score
First Name
Derik
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
5.7 350 tbi
I have a Chevy 350 5.7 tbi with the 4l60 automatic transmission. The truck will idle in park or neutral but when put in drive or reverse the engine stalls out. What’s wrong?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I have a Chevy 350 5.7 tbi with the 4l60 automatic transmission. The truck will idle in park or neutral but when put in drive or reverse the engine stalls out. What’s wrong?
Dude, we are going to need a lot more info than that and I'm not feeling like playing 20 questions right now, so your going to have to "drive the bus" if you wanna get any meaningful help. Write us a paragraph about how the truck runs, the symptoms and any know problems, like if the check engine light is on. I could take a stab and say it sounds like the converter clutch in the transmission is locked up, but without much info it's just a guess, and there's lot of other much more minor stuff that could cause a stall out. If you don't like typing you could always shoot us a video of the underhood and of the truck stalling when you pop it into gear. Let us know.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Exactly...

Pics, video of it happening... something!!!

The easy ones just off the bat could be TCC not unlocking, vacuum leak, mechanical idle not set properly, timing is off, EGR stuck open, Idle air control valve not working right, etc...

First step would be to see if you have any codes.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
That post made me smile for some reason, it reminded me of a game show where you have a limited time to guess the correct answer. Sorry I'm not more helpful on this one, to many variables and too little info. The best I can do is toss out some sarcastic humor, which is pretty much useless in solving your stalling issue.

"Engine stalls out" Does it sputter for a second or two and then die? Does it stop running the second you put it in gear? Does it make any unusual noises when it stalls? Does it act like someone turned off the key when you put it in gear?

Any history leading up to the stalling issue? Went from running fine, "and then suddenly"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes