1989 R2500 7.4L heater hose question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrcar1955

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Just bought my '89 Burb. It's bone stock with 81k original miles. I'm in the process of replacing all the hoses. I was doing good until I got to the heater hoses. Most of my other chevies are older. So, I was suprised to find a heater line that comes out of the heater core as a rubber hose then turns to hard line which runs behind the motor and attaches to the bottom, rear of the throttle body plate. I can't seem to locate that line at any parts supplier.

Anybody know if I can still source this special hose from anywhere? Or do I have to cut the hard line and just hose clamp some straight heater hose to it?

Anyone else run into this? I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

Thanks for the help,

Last edited by a moderator:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you are having trouble locating a new one, it may have been a dealer-only part. I know you want to keep it original, but the TB heater line is really just an afterthought that serves no purpose 99.9999% of the time (and no purpose at all in warmer weather). It can be bypassed by running the heater hose like a pre-tbi 454. Otherwise splicing in new rubber sections doesn't seem like a bad option.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You can cut the hard line just be prepared to fight the hose over it. It's a little tight but can be done. I'm sure Summit sells some kind of nipple adapter gadget that can bolt right to the manifold port.

Mrcar1955

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks, guys. I bypassed the throttle body plate. Just capped off the old fittings and left the plate on.

Thanks for the responses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef